Old Geezer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptBud330

I suppose I'm showing my age and I've past the point of trying to understand, but when I was hired, it was a dream come true. I felt pride in wearing the uniform. I suppose it goes back to the days of fine dining at the Newarker Restaurant at the Newark airport, when men and woman dressed in their finest and bags had to be weighed. And I looked in awe at the pilots wearing their freshly pressed uniforms.
Now I was that pilot and oh so proud. I carried that sense of pride throughout my career. The uniform was symbol of accomplishment.
I gradually saw a change. It was subtle at first. Unshined shoes, ties that were worn loosly with the top button unbuttoned. You all know what I'm rambling about. Ah, another senior moment.
Now with no hats, ties optional and leather jackets, I just wonder where the pride went. Flight kits held together with duct tape with decorative stickers on them seems so unprofessional. I saw in my last months flying the line a sticker on a flight bag that said "The anus is an exit, not an entrance". I wonder what the family walking behind this professional thought and how they explained it to their children heading to Wally World.
I suppose it's a sign of the times though. We live in a more casual society. No longer do passengers wear ties and jackets. Shorts, tee shirts and sandals are the garb of the day in the airplane. We can't change the passengers but we do have control of our own appearance. Do we want to command the respect we so richly deserve? We better cinch up the tie, shine the shoes, put on a clean pressed shirt, and proudly wear the hat. You earned it.

I suppose I'm showing my age and I've past the point of trying to understand, but when I was hired, it was a dream come true. I felt pride in wearing the uniform. I suppose it goes back to the days of fine dining at the Newarker Restaurant at the Newark airport, when men and woman dressed in their finest and bags had to be weighed. And I looked in awe at the pilots wearing their freshly pressed uniforms.
Now I was that pilot and oh so proud. I carried that sense of pride throughout my career. The uniform was symbol of accomplishment.
I gradually saw a change. It was subtle at first. Unshined shoes, ties that were worn loosly with the top button unbuttoned. You all know what I'm rambling about. Ah, another senior moment.
Now with no hats, ties optional and leather jackets, I just wonder where the pride went. Flight kits held together with duct tape with decorative stickers on them seems so unprofessional. I saw in my last months flying the line a sticker on a flight bag that said "The anus is an exit, not an entrance". I wonder what the family walking behind this professional thought and how they explained it to their children heading to Wally World.
I suppose it's a sign of the times though. We live in a more casual society. No longer do passengers wear ties and jackets. Shorts, tee shirts and sandals are the garb of the day in the airplane. We can't change the passengers but we do have control of our own appearance. Do we want to command the respect we so richly deserve? We better cinch up the tie, shine the shoes, put on a clean pressed shirt, and proudly wear the hat. You earned it.

Your generation lacks true leaders. There is no example being set or enforced for the up-and-comers. It's an every man for himself, free market world you and your generation have created. Don't blame me.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

So I guess professionalism has followed the same curve as career expectations, pay, work rules, and retirement. Imagine that.

Had a 10 year old kid come up to the cockpit once, thought he wanted to sit at the controls, look at the screens, ask questions etc... Nope, he wanted to know what our route distance was for his records so he could audit his frequent flyer miles against the airline's numbers, and complain if they tried to screw him. I would say we're going to have to look real hard to find any more "awe" in the future.

Last edited:
Yawn.

How many Pan Am pilots does it take to change a light bulb?

Four. One to change the light bulb and three to reminisce about how good the old light bulb was.

Ole Captain Bud has a lot of good points in there, I believe we would all be doing ourselves a favor to give his words due consideration at the very least.

Yeah, we all know what has happened to our careers the last few decades, and the last few years especially. There will come a time when the pendulem will start moving the other direction, and when that time comes will we have any credibility if we look like a bunch of slobs with bad attitudes?

I still remember a fifth grade teacher who told us that when we where out in public that we represented our families. He was a good man, Mr. Fountain.

We really should stop and reevaluate things every now and then. Thanks Captain Bud.

Last edited:

Just wondering capt bud.....Are you the same group that created the "B" scale? The "C" scale?? That took their pension and ran? How about that didn't keep in line with "hiring/furlough stats?" Wasn't your age group the same one that pulled up the ladder right after you got yours?
Did you ever fly open time while there were junior guys on the street? Or did you even contribute towards your younger generations "cobra" benefits!
It's real easy to sit behind the keyboard and point fingers.....SEE!

Captbud,

Are you a former Mohawk guy? I tried sending you a pm, but it wouldn't take. My dad's a '61 Mohawk hire, 2001 usair retiree....Jerry Clark. Do you know him? I'm with SW now, so i'm a little biased with the leather jackets ;)

Take care,
-scott

Last edited:
You want to blame someone look in the mirror. When you stop accepting sub par wages and work rules then you can truly fight for the profession. Until then quit whinning.

Now with no hats, ties optional and leather jackets, I just wonder where the pride went. Flight kits held together with duct tape with decorative stickers on them seems so unprofessional. I suppose it's a sign of the times though. We live in a more casual society. No longer do passengers wear ties and jackets. Shorts, tee shirts and sandals are the garb of the day in the airplane. We can't change the passengers but we do have control of our own appearance. Do we want to command the respect we so richly deserve? We better cinch up the tie, shine the shoes, put on a clean pressed shirt, and proudly wear the hat. You earned it.

Gramps, you guys set this industry up for failure, you reap what you sow, thanks for getting yours and leaving us your mess to clean up. Enjoy your lifestyle, all who followed are making a living at a job, not a profession.

The people talking smack are the same ones he's talking about. They're the nasty ones who wear the same shirt for a 4 day trip and never iron it. By the time they're done flying, the shirt pretty much jumps off their nasty crusty body unassisted. I once saw a Captain for a Major Airline wearing black high top sneakers with his uniform. I almost smacked him with a large trout. Show some respect for the job you do. The bags kept together with tape is an everyday occurence. Stop blaming Capt. Bud. Clean your nasty azz up instead of looking like Captain/FO Homey the Clown. By the way, Im 34, not an old timer.

That is all.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back