Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LAZYB

Time wounds all heels.
May have a corporate pilot position based at OAK.

Are there any areas, within an hours drive, where you can buy a nice house for less than $400,000? It would be nice to: NOT be in a community/project, have 3/4 acre plus, trees (tall pines would be nice ; ), low level of gunfire etc.

OK stop laughing.

Any ideas?

My initial answer to your question is just a staight NO.

Now, I'm from the Bay Area and flew out of OAK for years. Its really sad to think that I, as a regional airline pilot, will never be able to afford a house where I grew up unless some unkown rich dead uncle leaves me a bundle or I hit the lotto (or I make it to Southwest).

Many people commute into the area from the Sac area in the north, though that would be more than an hour. The most affordable housing is due east from OAK on the 580 out in the Tracy or Modesto way. Hicksville to be sure: about as much a part of the metro SF bay as the cental valley could be. Livermore isn't all the way out in the valley, but the prices there are through the roof.

To make it worse it is HOT AS HE!! out there in the summer, and the traffic is out of control as you have about half the workers in the area coming in and going out each day. By the way, all the growth there is in cookie-cutter developments. Those are the only areas prices will not be obscene. Sorry.

I truely love the area, the people and and the vibe, but it has changed greatly in the past ten years...

Best of luck.

Last edited:
My wife's brother bought a house seven years ago in Castro Valley for approximately $180,000. Sold it six years later for $350K+.

Sorry to bear bad news.

2000Flyer

Thanks guys...

that was what I was afraid of. The salary doesn't look all that high now.:(

Concord, Pinole, Hercules, Benicia, Richmond, Antioch.

Not exactly close by. Nor are they the nicest places - but you may find something acceptable about 45 mins drive away.

Having said all that, being far away from Oakland isn't the worst of things......

400,000 might find you a small condo though.

dont know of anything cheap out in these parts. Houses starting at 500k and its not much house.
Not to familiar with the oakland fremont hayward area cause im in northbay area. Livermore mightwork but anything North of the Richmond brige is ridiculous, stear clear or san rafeal and Navato santa rosa.

Thanks again to y'all

:p

Currently I commute to OAK from Concord (about 35-55 min commute). Decent housing around $400K, but nothing with 3/4 acre. For that large of a land lot try Clayton, just another 5 miles east of Concord - ranch style houses ranging from 300K fixer upper to 1 mil+ mansions

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back