O2 for Fufu?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
O2 for dogs at altitude

My husband and I (both pilots) fly our Mooney with our two 90 lb GSDs at altitudes up to FL190. Both dogs are active competitors in obedience, tracking, protection, and agility. We are concerned about hypoxia as they need all the brain cells they have! These dogs normally sleep at altitude as there is no ground scent or visual stimulus for them. Makes it hard to assess their oxygenation state by clinical means.

We have used our O2 sat monitor by placing on the web space between their toes and it seems to give a very accurate reading. Their sat is maintained well and only begins to modestly decline above 17000 so we stay below this unless we need to climb briefly for weather. But this makes us more comfortable to fly up to 17000 with them. Have not found any O2 mask or canula system for them.

I am now more concerned about hearing damage as they are exposed for long times to engine noise with only cotton balls in their ears for protection.

you know, pup, i was actually gonna post something about the ear protection myself. i saw an avatar w/ a dog w/ a headset on and it got me wondering.

Well if something happens to Fu Fu my mom breeds havenese here in Tampa. Maybe I trade you one for some time in the 400..

Thanks for the suggestions -- I esp. liked Cardinal's suggestion and and glad no "apparent brain damage" occurred by his parents letting him sleep it off in the FL's.

I am going with the O2 tent concept -- sort of like creating a "bubble-dog" vs a "Bubble-Boy" from Seinfeld.

I sent the orginal question over to Brent Blue (MD) who is one of the muckety-mucks over at Aeromedix. In addition to the need to talk to a vet he wrote:

"Actually a frequent question!

They make dog specific oxygen cannulas in three sizes. However, getting them to keep it on is more problematic. The best solution is to put the dog in a kennel type carrier and cover it with a "tent." Unless you are as old as I am, you may never have seen one of these in a hospital. They basically are a plastic cover that hangs over a bed. You can duplicated it with a kennel by wrapping the kennel loosely with plastic wrap (air should be able to leak out). Put the oxygen tubing inside and run it at about 2 liters per minute (for 18K). You must check the system regularly to make sure the oxygen is being delivered to the tent.

The dog can also be monitored with special vet type pulse oximeters which we can order if you want to be exacting about the process.

Let me know if you have other questions."

Brent

Finally, and in the neverending search of the best hooters/ga airport around, there may be times during such research ops that fufu and the wife stay home and the O2 tent stays in the hangar!

Latest resources

Back