• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA alliiance denied -- future of mergers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mergers with Foreign airlines may be a problem. But, mergers with other legacies may not be. Look at USAir and AWA. They didn't have overlapping hubs, and complimented each other route wise---AWA with a large West Coast presence, and USAir with an East Coast one. That will have to be the criteria for any future mergers. DL and NWA fit that model. So do CAL and UAL.

I have stated in the past that I hoped we could have some deal with Air France (49% ownership maybe) which could give us access to their deep pockets. The DOT denying NW and DL with larger deals with Skyteam and Anti-trust immunity may force us to do more International on our own, if we want those higher INTL yeilds. Interesting indeed. Foreign airlines can still own 25%, and that may help down the line.

Bye Bye--General Lee

pedropcola said:
Dude, take your meds. I ain't pissed at you, I just said your little conspiracy comment was stupid.

Maybe there is some kind of computer glich going on here, or you just aren't looking closely enough, I didn't come up with the conspiracy theory. My thesis is the very real and terribly misplaced status SWA holds as our governments' most favored airline.

But the real issue is the pathological determination DOT holds against a US legacy partnering with another international airline in search of revenue. It is bullsh1t! There is no reason to stand against two bankrupt carriers partnering in any manner with anyone. Especially when we stand on the verge of seeing all these carriers sold off to foriegn interests. We are about to dissolve a majority of our international presence for good just to make sure no US legacy can make some money. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face!

I really thought something like this would pass muster this time.

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Mergers with Foreign airlines may be a problem. But, mergers with other legacies may not be. Look at USAir and AWA. They didn't have overlapping hubs, and complimented each other route wise---AWA with a large West Coast presence, and USAir with an East Coast one. That will have to be the criteria for any future mergers. DL and NWA fit that model. So do CAL and UAL.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Good point, that may be correct. I say bring it on, I'm ready to merge. It will be painful in the short term but the sooner we get down to about 3 legacy airlines the quicker we can take the LCCs to the woodshed! If we could just get treated by regulators half as favorably as SWA its a lock.

Our time is coming General. We have a better product (by far) and we almost have a cheaper price. Their costs are going up, ours are coming down

Flopgut said:
the sooner we get down to about 3 legacy airlines the quicker we can take the LCCs to the woodshed!

This is funny . . . kind of like a time warp. . . . . Let me break out my IBM Selectric typewriter and make some notes . . . you sound kind of feisty, like that Ross Perot fella everyone's talking about . . . . you might be on to something there, Adm Stockdale. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back