• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

Northwest pilots hold out hope for Delta deal

By JIM THARPE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/28/08

A group of Northwest Airlines pilots was still holding out hope Thursday that a merger with Atlanta-based Delta Air Lines is possible.

The group, ALPA Watch, posted a statement on its Web site updating pilots on merger talks between Delta and Northwest to create the world's largest airline.

The talks are apparently on hold as leaders of the unions for the carriers' 11,000 pilots attempt to work out how their seniority lists would be combined under a single carrier.

"Seniority list integration remains the sticking point," according to a merger update posted on the Web site for the ALPA Watch, a group that says it monitors the Air Line Pilots Association unit for Northwest pilots. "However, it is still possible that this issue can be worked out, thus providing a good deal for all, NWA(Northwest) and DAL(Delta).

"That would be best because failure to do so will probably mean a great loss of economic opportunity for all. For now, stay informed, and as the messages from our leaders say, be patient."

The Associated Press, citing a person with knowledge of the situation, also reported Thursday that Northwest pilots continue to seek a solution to the stalled talks with Delta pilots, and that they're not under a deadline to make a deal.

The ALPA Watch Web site does not elaborate, and pilots connected with the site declined comment in a telephone interview.

ALPA Watch describes itself as "a grassroots organization created by everyday NWA line-pilots for the purpose of helping NWA ALPA restore the fair compensation, quality of life, the future, and the dignity of all NWA Pilots. ALPAWatch is here to make certain that the NWA ALPA leadership focuses on its primary responsibility, 'To protect and enhance the careers of Northwest Airlines Pilots.' "

The ALPA Watch posting comes as the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Thursday that the pilots unions for the two airlines have not met since Feb. 21.
The two carriers have apparently agreed to major provisions of a merger, but want to get pilots on board before finalizing an agreement. The merger could proceed without a pilots' agreement, but labor problems have helped derail proposed airline mergers in the past.

fu******g pilots

Holding out hope......

I would sure be hoping for something, anything better if I worked for Northwest-what a craphole! Talk about a place with absolutely god-awful employee relations for decades. It don't get much worse as far as I can tell..

I would sure be hoping for something, anything better if I worked for Northwest-what a craphole! Talk about a place with absolutely god-awful employee relations for decades. It don't get much worse as far as I can tell..

Sorry you didn't get hired.

And, by the way, my worst "employee relations" day here so far beats my best "employee relations" day at ASA by a long shot.

Nimrod

also spelled Nemrod, legendary biblical figure, described in Gen. 10:8–12 as “the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.” The only other references to Nimrod in the Old Testament are Mic. 5:6, where Assyria is called the land of Nimrod, and I Chron. 1:10. The beginning of his kingdom is said in Genesis to be Babel, Erech, and Akkad in the land of Shinar. Nimrod is said to have built Nineveh, …

Nimrod

also spelled Nemrod, legendary biblical figure, described in Gen. 10:8–12 as “the first on earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.” The only other references to Nimrod in the Old Testament are Mic. 5:6, where Assyria is called the land of Nimrod, and I Chron. 1:10. The beginning of his kingdom is said in Genesis to be Babel, Erech, and Akkad in the land of Shinar. Nimrod is said to have built Nineveh, …

Damn Neubyfly, looks like you done schooled some folks on here.

Yes the true meaning of Nimrod is believed to be "skilled hunter". That is why the Brits named one of their beloved maritime re-con aircraft that very name.

SOooo...

...ALPA WATCH = Skilled Hunters.

Interesting.

"The American Heritage Dictionary offers two distinct definitions of a nimrod -- either a hunter, or a person regarded as silly or foolish. The dictionary goes on to explain that the second meaning probably originated with the cartoon character Bugs Bunny. The wily Bugs used the term in its original sense to refer to dithering hunter Elmer Fudd, whom he called a "poor little Nimrod." Over time, however, the "hunter" meaning got dropped, and the "dithering" connotation stuck."

Interestingly, "Grey Matter" refers to the brain and CNS components. You know...the "thinking" part of the body.

"Redmeat" is often the butt part of the creature.

Interestingly, "Grey Matter" refers to the brain and CNS components. You know...the "thinking" part of the body.

"Redmeat" is often the butt part of the creature.

Interestingly enough the 'meat' part of my user name DOES refer to a certain part of my anatomy, but not my butt nor my brain.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back