Non-flying job - a foot in the door?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Edward Summer

Knowing that there are no guarantees in this business, would a non-flying job at a regional be a good way to get a foot in the door and maybe someday lead to a flying position (obviously for a qualified person)??? I know that one would need to stay current and build time in any way, but would job performance in a non-pilot job speak loudly when the time comes?

Anybody have any experience with this???

Thanks
Ed

There was a guy in my asa class that had previously worked in the flight control department. I would say that it couldnt hurt your chances. Good luck.

Depends on the airline. I know that some wholly owned airlines, like Comair, hire many from within. We have had dispatchers, ramp agents, and I have heard even flight attendants become pilots here. However, I was a dispatcher, and although I think the experience was excellent, I would not recommend you try this if you want to fly. You are always better off with a flying job, if you want a better flying job. You need to build flight hours constantly, which is difficult if you have a desk job. I would only take another job at a regional if either you are allready qualified to fly there and they aren't hiring pilots, or if you can't get a flying job anywhere. Good luck to you.

Foot in door

It probably does depend on the company, but I know of one success story. I know of a pilot who started off at Continental as a ground-pounder. I believe he busted bags at the beginning and may have become a CSA later. I believe his mother, who worked at Continental, got him the job. All the while he worked on certificates and ratings and built time. He got on with Bar Harbor, a Continental commuter. Finally, mainline hired him.

I think it does help to begin by getting your foot in the door. The more contacts you make and the more LORs you can garner the better your chances will be. But, as always, contacts, references and LORs do not guarantee an interview.

Latest resources

Back