Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA wanted NJI pilots to become part of Union in TA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wolfpack,

As I understand it, IF a merger occurs, even those pilots who choose not to join IBT (which is their right) must still pay a fee because even the non-union employees benefit from the collective negotiation conducted by the union. It may not be palatable to some, but they always have the option of seeking greener (or at least different) pastures.

As for the salary scale of the TA, you are correct that a current NJI F/O would take a pay cut if governed by NJA pay rates for a pilot with equivalent time of service. However, under the TA, a Captain with more than 5 years of service, holding a seat on a category 4 aircraft, will make more than an NJI Captain with equivalent time of service. As with most airline negotiations, the more senior members of the union (ie: Captains) made out much better under the TA than did junior members while new hires will really have to pay some dues before they benefit.

RTS is supposed to make another visit to Hilton Head after the contract is signed. If he hopes to successfully fight a single carrier petition, he will need the support of the NJI pilots. What better way to garner support among the troops than to announce improvements to the NJI schedule, vacation, and pay policies?

I have friends at NJI who have been there between 6-8 years who don't make what a 1st year Class 4 Capt. makes at NJA in the new TA, year 1 pay is $120,000 in the new TA.

I hope that this new TA will boost your pay to the new level and not just NJA's, my friends deserve it as do all of you

wolfpackpilot said:
Gunshot,

Im not sure this is completely correct. I am waiting for a friend who practices labor law to confirm this. My understanding is that non-union employees who as a result of; 1. a buy out, or merger. 2. a vote to unionize by a work group. would not have to pay any union dues or administrative fees associated with said union. Also South Carolina law could come into play depending on what the NMB states in their decision.

Joining a union in connection with going to work for a unionized company already in place as a condition of employment is totally different than our situation.

Once I have a legal answer, I will certainly share it.

I was wondering about this myself; right-to-work state implications? I dunno'.

zman300 said:
I was wondering about this myself; right-to-work state implications? I dunno'.

Correct. And here in lies the conundrum faced by all parties involved. The NMB cannot force a company to cease the operation of a subsidiary company. They can however interpret the operation of said subsidiary and rule that the operation is essentially an attempt to subvert a union contract. In which case the union would have the right to demand an integration of the 2 groups. The parent company can still operate the company in question. This is where state laws may or may not play a part in determining whether the non-union employees would have to pay the administration fee associated with the union.

Federal Law (and some States, S.C. included) provides that no employee of a non-union work force will be forced to join or pay any dues or fees associated with union membership if his or her work group legally unionizes. This is where the term ‘grandfather’ comes from. At my last airline there were still 20 or so pilots who never joined the union and were on the property at the time the union was voted in. They never paid a dime in union dues. What I'm trying to ascertain is:

1. Does this apply to buy out and mergers
2. Does this apply to NMB rulings

Also the NMB could make a statement on this particular issue as well, as it lies within their purview. There is plenty of time for speculation, nothing happens for three years. And that’s an eternity in labor issues.

Last edited:
Ok... so I got tired of reading everyone's guesses here. I asked someone who has dealt with scope lawyers and who is in the know what the real deal was. The NJI LOU becomes binding if the TA is ratified. Period.

RTS agreed to it, now RTS will get it... and so will NJI. RTS can play games with the NJI/NJA pilots but in the end he doesn't care about NJI pilots (and certainly not NJA pilots).

This in no merger. It is an re-aquisition of what should have never been there BACK into NJA. That being said, with this NJI LOU and an ironclad single carrier lawsuit in the 1108 memberships pocket, transplantation of the G4 and G5s to NJA will happen eventually. Not if, when.

The most senior guy there is 10 yrs. NJA has 17-18 yr guys looking at coming on over. They will be the senior monkey on deck. Period.

Ok... options for NJI pilots going forward in the 36 months following TA ratification.

Option #1... Voluntarily and cooperatively work with the 1108 leadership towards seniority integration.

Get a good deal. Get relatively fair protections. Work openly and productively to secure your futures.

Option#2... Resist1108.

This would have varying degrees of detrimental result for the typical NJI pilot.

1108 will throw everything at NJI pilots to give them as little as possible in the end deal. All available resources will go towards this effort. This is very different than option #1. All bets would be off. Options to file the necessary motions for a complete removal of all G4 and G5 aircraft and place them on NJA property could be exercised. Notice I didn't say anything about pilots.

The RLA allows for any of the above options. It just does. No "ifs", "ands" or "what about right to work" state about it.

If the NJI group decides to fight, I salute you. Game will be on. All of you will face some of the most formidable negotiators and scope lawyers in the business. Ever.

I'd take the red pill.

The fact that some of NJI operations are in SC makes absolutely no difference in the world. Zero. NJI interacts completelt with the CMH unit who's boss resides in NJ and who's operating certificate is based in OK. Seems like a weak argument.

Last edited:
2EASYPilot said:
If the above is true, and I do not doubt it....it's time for the NJI guys to start working on their resumes.

If they do not fancy being a member of a Union... maybe.

Latest resources

Back