NJA new hire schedules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skyaddict

Anyone NJA or ex-NJA, I am headed for furlough pastures and am interviewing next week and am weighing the pros and the cons. Some questions: New hires are 13 days off, is that correct? Do you stand a chance at getting *some* weekend days off right away/soon or is that far off initially? What do you get for the airline deadheads out of the domicile- per diem or some sort of duty? Is there any sort of duty other than per diem? And how bad is all the sitting out at FBO 'down time' compared to life as a regional dog, i.e. what are some typical days as a new hire?

I have no issues with all the extra little smiling CS-work vs regionals, where you can just plonk down your butt down, flip on the autopilot and read Useless Today. Pay (if nothing else better than regionals year 1!) and upgrade stagnation are my biggest fears but I see plenty of furloughed major guys choose it over regionals in a heartbeat so I'm assuming there are some big positives too. Is it true that, pay aside, NJA is a highly professional organization vs the often mickey mouse treatment of employees at regionals?

You will work 17 days a month, randomly generated, weekends off aren't bidable. Perdiem starts when you airline leaves your gateway. Overtime first day before 0800 then after 9 hours. 12-14 hours pays ot after that. Days never the same sometime fly 4-5 legs sometimes none. Sometimes sit around an FBO, but not very often.

Let the "buyer" beware....

skyaddict said:
Anyone NJA or ex-NJA, I am headed for furlough pastures and am interviewing next week and am weighing the pros and the cons. Some questions: New hires are 13 days off, is that correct?

(You will be offered the 17 day schedule or 7 on, 7 off (bid) depending upon the company's needs)

Do you stand a chance at getting *some* weekend days off right away/soon or is that far off initially?

(yes, some)

What do you get for the airline deadheads out of the domicile- per diem or some sort of duty?

(duty and per diem at 1.60 per hour whenever you're on the the clock for the company) Is there any sort of duty other than per diem? (yes, standard daily rate, and overtime)

And how bad is all the sitting out at FBO 'down time' compared to life as a regional dog, i.e. what are some typical days as a new hire?

(Too many variables to list, you could be standby on duty at an FBO, flying, training in class or simulator, check ride, you name it. Plan on a 11-14 hour day on line in the Ultra, X, or Excel. I worked for a crummy regional, and I'm senior, so I'm staying if the pay comes up. If you're used to a "cush Part 121 life" you may not like it here. They work the "hammer fleets" VERY hard.)

I have no issues with all the extra little smiling CS-work vs regionals, where you can just plonk down your butt down, flip on the autopilot and read Useless Today. Pay (if nothing else better than regionals year 1!) and upgrade stagnation are my biggest fears but I see plenty of furloughed major guys choose it over regionals in a heartbeat so I'm assuming there are some big positives too. Is it true that, pay aside, NJA is a highly professional organization vs the often mickey mouse treatment of employees at regionals?

(Be careful, the pilots here are VERY ANGRY and MOTIVTED to change this place and they WILL shut it down to do so. You will probably be entering a work action zone in the next few months. If you have the sand to play full contact without pads, then welcome to the gladiator arena, but if you can't hang, or aren't willing to play hard ball, YOU'RE NOT WANTED in the upcoming "game". And remember, as a new hire you will have only limited union protection, we are COUNTING on the company "making examples" of pilots in the upcoming salvo.)

Skyaddict,

I have been at NJA for about six months now. I made the decision to make the switch from the regionals to NJA. I was going to get a captain award on the E-145 at Chq just after I left. I knew for me that I did not want to continue to invest more time at a regional. After I came to NJA I realized an immediate difference between NJA and the regionals. NJA is better than any regional I can think of.

MORAL: There are a lot of people who are down because of the failed TA. I was hired just before the TA was announced and moral was really bad (understandably so). But since the TA failed, the new MEC has been voted in, and StrongUnioin.org has had such an impact on the pilot group now things are starting to look up.

SCHEDULE: There are three different types of schedules. The first is the “seventeen day” which is basically an airline “13 hard day off’ schedule. A common week would be like 4 on and 3 off. The second is the 7 on and 7 off. Lots of new hires who put in for their choice all got their choice of which 7 on and 7 off that they requested. Tuesday start is the most popular 7 and 7. I am on the third type of schedule called the “Flex”. On the flex you are paid more but have many more available days that the company has the option of using you for. Basically the way it works is you would tell the company four days of the month that they can absolutely not touch. Than they will tell you your soft schedule that will have between 11 and 15 days off a month. Again on the flex their soft schedule can change, but mine has not changed yet. Every one I have talked to on the road has similar decent stories of working on the flex.

PAY: I am sure that you have already researched the salaries. Right now they are pretty pathetic but hopefully change will be on the horizon with our new leadership. As I said I am on the FLEX so that brings my annual salary up to around 33,000ish. Also another big difference between the airline and NJA is the per-diem. Here per diem is 1.60 and is basically take home. You are provided crew meals on the road and most hotels have free breakfast. Guys can spend the cash if they want to have a nice dinner but I try to bring everything I can back home until I can get bypass pay. On the flex I can plan on an additional 600 -700 a month from just per-diem. Again the pay sucks.

THE FLYING: I personally don’t think you can beat the flying. Working at a fractional has brought me to many airports I never knew existed. The other day we woke up in Naples flew to the islands where we had a 24 hour over night where we were put up at a resort on the water. While my friends back at the regional where sitting reserve in Buffalo, I was swimming in the Caribbean Sea. When I was with the regionals I never went to the islands. And it sure beats the hell out of back to back BOS of LGA trips.

All and all if you are already at a good flying job than I would avoid coming to NJA until the contract come into reality. If you are getting ready to be furloughed than I think you would be much happier here than any regional I can think of. If you come to NJA you will never have to spend time in a crash pad or sit reserve. Chances are good you can hold a 7 and 7 as a FO and you will not have to ever count on the jumpseat again.

F9 Fan

Great feedback, guys. It is interesting how there seems to be such a wide gap between viewpoints from frac insiders. The white, however, seems heavily linked to the idea that the pay situation WILL eventually change for the better, a big if that is linked to possible ugly confrontation ahead. The message boards, by and large, seem to paint a bleak picture of fracs, while I have spoken to some NJA pilots flying on my airline as well as some of our aircrew who are married to NJA guys, and they seem to love it. But it's good to hear both sides. ight now I'm waiting to hear back from Pinnacle. If I get there as a 'street captain' my QOL would suck again but pay would be bearable and I'd finally get some turbine PIC.

Here's a quick question: a trip can go from mexico or the caribbean to alaska (or overseas in the appropriate equipment)... so that can mean a variety of civie clothes. How do you guys pack, given that you start and finish every trip with an airline deadhead. On my regional airline trips I am a bit of a packrat on 5 day trips because I like to have lots of goodies with me for those otherwise dull and boring sits. I'd think that becomes a pain though, both to store it in a citation or to lug it on and off airliners as carry-on along with a flight case. You guys are not paperless cockpit like Flight Options (?) right?

I will reserve judgement of the company but tell you what I do.

I bought the 27" Luggage works. It has enough space for 7 days or more. Im currently on the 17 day but you can easily pack enough shorts, pants, uni's etc. I easily pack my clothes, uniforms and that giantic overcoat we have at NJA. I dont have a flight case but I have a large brief case. Its not that big a deal lugging it around. Im in the Hawker, which has no baggage space, and it all fits fine.

The nice thing about the luggage works bags is they are very thin which helps.

You can easily bring a little of everything and be just fine.

And no, we arent paperless yet.

A Job with Great Potential...

I am not with NJA but I have many friends who are there. One said it best when he said, "NJA has the potential to be a GREAT place to work - but it certainly is not now..." He was referencing the low pay and the friction that is found now at every fractional between the pilots and management.

Your perspective might also be enhanced if you get to fly some great equipment - Frontier Fan is flying the Falcon 2000 as an FO - probably nicer flying than the Beechjet or Ultra... Let's hope a new contract will make NJA a much better place to be...

I have a question on the schedule. How do the pilots get to and from their gateway to work. Does the company deadhead you to and from work on your scheduled work days, so that the days you have off are completely yours.

Its been covered, do a search.

In short, no travel on your off days. All travel is on company time.

Latest resources

Back