NJA Beechjet Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

I read on a recent NJA post that experienced newhires in the future might be placed on the Beechjet 400A vs. the X, Excel, Sovereign, etc. I know people have different opinions about the 400A - some love it and some refer to it as the "Beechjunk." I've actually sat in a Part 91 400A at Teterhole a few months back and I have a few questions about it for those in the know:

1. Do the NJA 400As have three or four EFIS tubes? I know that the FLOPS aircraft seem to be outfitted with three vs. four tubes...

2. How many 400As are currently on the property and how many are expected in 2005?

3. For anyone who flies it for NJA or FLOPS, how do you like it? The one I sat in at Teterhole seemed pretty nice and comfy...

4. What would be the preferred fleet at NJA - the 400A fleet or the Ultra/Encore fleet? Does it make a difference?

I'm not a fractional guy and I'm sure that they have a different answer to your question. I have been flying a Beechjet, actually the 400XP if you want to get into that debate. The owner likes the 400XP thing, I don't care one way or an other.

I was recently at Flight Safety in Wichita and had a couple of NJ guys in my class. I was told that they where ironing out the procedures and checklist, this was in November.

I like the plane. We have the 3 tube set up. I came from old 30 series lears and love the avionics. VNAV, EGPWS, TCAS...and the fun stuff. But I can tell you that the whole spoiler thing is a pain in the butt in a cross wind. Not harder, just a totally different technique. We have had a couple of "gemlin" squawks since taking delievery a year and a half ago, but nothing crazy.

Of course we have just under 400 hours on the plane, I'm sure that the fractional guys that fly a ton more than we do have seen very different things. But I thought I'd through my 2 sence in.

I like the plane, Raytheon has been great with the warranty. No BS at all. But I want ailerons...and a GPU...

Pilotguy,

Please explain your "totally different technique" when landing the Beechjet. Yeah, the roll control authority is a little lacking due to the spoilerons but I still fly it like any other airplane. The control inputs still have the same outcome as any other airplane (engine failures excluded). When you fly a V-Tail Bonanza do you land IT completely different too? Just because the controls work a little differently? Curious is all. By the way, if you'd like a GPU most FBO's will gladly provide you with one for a small fee. I know, I'm a smart ass, sorry. Now a REAL lav, THAT is what this airplane is lacking.

Six,

I don't know for sure but I think the NJ craft have the 3 tube. Can't tell you for certain though. Actuaully can't tell you much at all about NJ except they're having their struggles like all the rest of us (keep up the good fight). I know most of ours have the 3 tubes, it saves the empty weight a little. We carry so much stuff that we need every little pound we can get. Also our new birds don't have the entertainment system. Curious if the NJ airplanes are having the DVD player or not? Also a weight savings but had one owner get VERY upset that we "upgraded" them to a new fleet airplane and it didn't have a DVD player.

You got me...I ment APU...sorry. As for the different cross wind landing technique I ment that your not really picking up a wing as you do with an aileron equiped aircraft, rather your killing lift and droping a wing with the spoilers. I refer to it as "fast hands." You seems to move the controls much more to get the same effect. It's just different, not better or worse. After spending a few years in the Lear I long for ailerons again.

The weight might be an issue for the NJ boys. I know we did a demo for them and I was told that they where not going with the 9th seat, but would have an entertainment center. Not sure about that, but thats what I was told.

4 vs 3

I have flown both 3 and 4 tube airplanes. I flew the 4 tube first and thought I would miss it, but I really dont notice.

If NJA got the 9 seat version the pilots are not going to like the CG issues if they try to use that seat. If you use all seven cabin seats in the eight seater you are right on the edge. (fwd CG)

I love flying the aircraft. It is very solid and comfortable. I would definately agree about the lav size though. it is very small.

I have flown it and the Ultra, and I perfer the Beechjet. I will say that I have been fortunate though in that all three I have flown have been VERY reliable. As with any fleet, there are a few grumpy ones out there.

Avionics are fantastic. Speed is good. Climbs ok untill Isa+10.

IMHA use a highspeed climb. If you get the nose stuck up in the air it does not do well.

guido411 said:
Now a REAL lav, THAT is what this airplane is lacking.

On our Beechjet we usually use the lav as another baggagecompartment. We've kinda found that it doesn't have the range togo far enough for lack of a lav to be an issue.

I've been in a NJA 400xp once, I'm pretty sure it has the 3 tube.

The Beechjet doesn't have much of a range. With full tanks it can carry 1 pax. 800-900 nm range with full pax. Last I heard it was selling like hot cakes. I worked with all the chief pilots at NJA for 3 months, got to know most of them pretty well. The Chief for the Hawker 400 is a real nice guy, never delt with him from a pilot's standpoint, but it would surprise me if he was any different towards their concerns.

I really dislike the Ultra/Encore. The fleet is on the way out.

Last edited:
Almost

paulsalem said:
I've been in a NJA 400xp once, I'm pretty sure it has the 3 tube.

The Beechjet doesn't have much of a range. With full tanks it can carry 1 pax. 800-900 nm range with full pax. Last I heard it was selling like hot cakes. I worked with all the chief pilots at NJA for 3 months, got to know most of them pretty well. The Chief for the Hawker 400 is a real nice guy, never delt with him from a pilot's standpoint, but it would surprise me if he was any different towards their concerns.

I really dislike the Ultra/Encore. The fleet is on the way out.

With the new 16,300 lb take off weight they should be able to do 3 pax with full fuel, if BOW is like ours, Seats full range I would agree with.

Most of the ones I fly (older Flops preowned) have a BEW around 10.6 to 10.8. Throw in the weight for crew and you can still take 3 pax and full tanks and still be under the 16.5 ramp weight as long as they aren't super sized pax and don't bring a ton of luggage. We can usually do just under 3 hours and still have a 1000 lb. reserve on landing when we can take off with full tanks on long range cruise (.73, the sop speed now).

I haven't seen the BEW for a new Hawker 400, which is what NJA is supposed to be getting, but alot will depend on how they equip the cabin. I understand all of the new ones will have the 16,500 max ramp and 16,300 take off weights and the big cargo compartments.

Last edited:
I tried to get on a training flight one day. It was an IP and 2 other pilots. (3 man crew) The IP told me I could go if I weighed less than 120lbs.

NJA packs a ton of stuff in those cabins. Trust me I got to weigh EVERYTHING in the new soverign cabin.

Do you know how much a packett of sugar weighs?

Latest resources

Back