• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA 7/7 vs flex pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about flex vs. extended duty? ( I think that's what you call it). I heard you can make $250/day by calling scheduling the last day of your trip and volunteer to fly another day if they need you. I know it's not guaranteed like Flex is but if they're really short of pilots it seems like you could make more money doing that. Also, is $250 the right amount for F/O's?

AirBear

There is a an extended day program. They put out a 'bid' about a week before the dates needed. It is based on seat and senority. Calls the day before tours are done rarely get picked up.
You are correct about the pay, $236.38, for the first day in a month, then 283.66, for every additional day, in the same month.

So what I'm able to conclude from this thread is the trick is as a newhire is to get into an a/c that will give you the 7/7 schedule as quickly as possible, since you'll be essentially making the same pay as you would with the normal 17 day schedule except with far better QOL, or so it appears from my perspective.

BTW what a/c will give you the 7/7 quicker. Somebody said Citation X in a previous thread, I'm not sure if this is valid or not. I would think the Ultra or VII, but I'm not on the property so what do I really know.

Also - it seems NJA hires into the FO seat of all fleets. Though I expect to continue my career as a professional FO at NJA if hired, would somebody anticipating a 3-4 year stint in the right seat be able to bid from say Ultra FO to Falcon 2000 FO? And say you were to get CA bypass pay, would you lose this if transitioning? Oh, the complexities.....

Thanks a ton for all the perspectives offered in this thread.

FCN

Yes you lose bypass pay if you volunteer to FO in another fleet.

may not be any more bypass anyway especially if you are not already on the property.

I think the X gets FO's to 7/7 the fastest. However, you don't usually get a choice in the matter.
You would be seat locked, under the current CBA, for two years.

Don't expect an upgrade or by-pass pay for a long time (4-5) years.

Let's hope the new contract will have a liveable wage for FO's (and the rest of us).

Good luck

This is absolutely a 180 degrees from what every NJA pilot I know has said. They all seem to agree on the long upgrade, but they all say that the bypass pay should still only be a year or so.
What gives?

By-pass went about 18 months last time and only through a HUGE organized effort did we get a bunch of crews off "fo/fo pay."

I am guessing that there will be no by-pass language in the next contract. I would also guess the new contract will be done before another by-pass effort will be sucessful.

Look at the FO pay scale, can you live on it through year 5? That's the conservative position.

x402 said:
By-pass went about 18 months last time and only through a HUGE organized effort did we get a bunch of crews off "fo/fo pay." .

If not for that effort the junior man on PIC pay would be about year 4.

In October I start year 4 pay and I was in the next to last class to get bypass. The class after me, half the guys got bypass...the other half didn't. By the time they actually saw the bypass pay because of our effort in October, a lot of them had been at NetJets for over 2 years.

The failed TA had no provisions for any new pilots getting bypass pay. I don't expect the eventual contract will either. I also don't think any effort to get a junior guy a captain slot in the 400XP is going to work prior to the contract being implemented. If you hired on now, count on F/O wages for 5 years minimum.

So you were the last to get Bypass Pay by Natural Causes. Everyone junior got it by means of a conspiracy. I hate for someone coming on board, base their decision on the belief that can happen again.

Latest resources

Back