NJA 250 Hr Instrument Requirement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

V1 Rotate

Apparently they really want you to have this requirement. I have more than enough time and well exceeded their requirements for pilots, except for this one. I have over 200, but not quite 250. I got the letter last week after they received my application package that I sent to them two weeks earlier. Why would they even bother sending me an application knowing they're not going to hire me based on that? I wasted half a Sautrday just filling out the flight time sheet alone! Just thought I'd let all you people know this ahead of time. Oh well.

Back when I was hired (about 5 years ago) simulator time could be used to meet the 250 instrument minimum. You may want to give the pilot recruiting department a call and find out if that is still acceptable.

Good luck!

man I feel your pain. I wasted three days of my life filling out their application and they turned me down since I had less than 200 hours in the past 12 monnths (i had about 120).They would have easily known that had they bothered to read my cover letter. They turn a lot of good people down based on numbers.

I'm a flex now by the way...

V1 Rotate said:
Apparently they really want you to have this requirement. I have more than enough time and well exceeded their requirements for pilots, except for this one. I have over 200, but not quite 250. I got the letter last week after they received my application package that I sent to them two weeks earlier. Why would they even bother sending me an application knowing they're not going to hire me based on that? I wasted half a Sautrday just filling out the flight time sheet alone! Just thought I'd let all you people know this ahead of time. Oh well.

I have always heard that Instrument time represented about 10% of your total time. It is a judgement call. You should log something every flight. If you are flying a jet, I gaurantee you that you are flying solely by Instuments for some portion of every flight regardless of the actual conditions. Fly what you can, log what you need.

• Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (Multi-Engine Land)
  • Current FAA First Class Medical certificate
  • 2500 hours total pilot time
  • 500 hours fixed wing multi-engine time
  • 250 hours instrument time
Right off the web site, sorry you wasted your time. They probably thought you were flying regularly enough to close the gap between the 250 and what you had on your resume.

Last edited:
x402 said:
  • Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (Multi-Engine Land)
  • Current FAA First Class Medical certificate
  • 2500 hours total pilot time
  • 500 hours fixed wing multi-engine time
  • 250 hours instrument time
Right off the web site, sorry you wasted your time. They probably thought you were flying regularly enough to close the gap between the 250 and what you had on your resume.

What are competitive times coming in at right now? Have any pilots been hired even close to these numbers?

They have so many applications right now its disgusting....If you have a lot of corporate jet time in a 2 pilot crew you'll be in there......If you have the mins you'll probly get an application and a job.....but it's gonna take a while.

There are a lotta out of work airline guys that are willing to move to a domicile. As long as guys are moving to domiciles the company is not gonna remove that resrtiction. It's the same thing as pilots working for crappy wages, as long as ppl take the job the company you work at will pay crap. If you guys wanna get home basing------stop applying. When the company has a shortage they will remove the domicles

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back