• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJ Timeline from interv. to class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Makes sense. How many more airplanes are needed before another 2000 pilots can be hired?

Honestly, with the attrition rate for the domiciled new-hires, they aren't gaining much ground towards the vaunted 5000 mark. I really don't see hiring slowing down for some time. But as I'm not in HR, take that as just my opinion.

As for aircraft deliveries, I'm not certain what those actually look. I'm in the Encore fleet and our last new plane was received in Dec '06. Supposedly the Hawker 4000 is coming but that doesn't seem to be happening and we have just retired the Hawker 1000 and Citation VII fleets along with a pretty good retirement rate happening on the Ultras. I know they are getting more XLS's and Sovereigns but there aren't 400XP's coming right now and the Encore+ (which is supposedly coming) isn't due until the end of this year. Now, if you put all of that together, I'm not certain if we are seeing much net new-growth or not right now. The biggest problem seems to be the manufacturers and their production rates.

I believe that CRJFlyer may believe that "3000" is the magic number because of two pieces of info. One, RTS has been quoted as saying that he'd like to have 5000 pilots total. Second, NJA is said to run about 60/40 on PIC's to SIC's. Therefore, 60% of 5000 is 3000, hence the supposed magic number.

Guitar is right.....I'm pretty much going on info that I can pick up from web boards and from guys I run into at FBO's. Knowing that all this information is purely speculative, I still would like to think I'm attempting to be in the best possible position I can be.

Some NJ guys say that they are hurting for pilots and others say things have really slowed down in the hiring department...From the outside it's difficult to get an accurate assessment of what is really going on or when those of us in the pool may get a call for an interview.

Some NJ guys say that they are hurting for pilots and others say things have really slowed down in the hiring department...From the outside it's difficult to get an accurate assessment of what is really going on or when those of us in the pool may get a call for an interview.
5000.?. What company would put a number on how many pilots they want? If business does well and they have 5000 pilots and could grow are they going to take the customers, or the other hand if business sucks are they still going to bring it up to 5000?

Don't count on upgrading anytime soon. Right now there aren't a whole lot of Captain bids for the smaller fleets, which are normally taken by SICs. Instead, the bids are usually just PICs bidding PIC in a different aircraft (ie Ultra PIC to 680 PIC).

As a new hire, I'd go to a fleet that has crossover pay and plan on being there for 3+ years. Right now the XL is the only fleet with crossover. But the 900XP might be crossover with the 800XPC, and the Encore+ might be crossover with the Encore. So I'd take the XL, or the 800XPC or Encore if the XL isn't available.

my .02

To answer the original question, here is my timeline:

August 2006: mailed resume
September 2006: received application and sent it in
October 2006: got the "application accepted" email
end of February 2007: got an interview invitation (DAL as #1 choice)
end of March 2007: interview
first week in April 2007: offered a June 4th class for the Sovereign in DAL

...and the Encore+ might be crossover with the Encore...

From asking this question of someone in the training department, that won't happen. The Encore and Encore+ will be separate fleets, so no dual-qual pay.

But if you want to bid over to it, you can get a nice, new 2-year seatlock.

NJ Timeline

To answer the original question, here is my timeline:

August 2006: mailed resume
September 2006: received application and sent it in
October 2006: got the "application accepted" email
end of February 2007: got an interview invitation (DAL as #1 choice)
end of March 2007: interview
first week in April 2007: offered a June 4th class for the Sovereign in DAL
My timeline was around three months,but i knew someone who gave me a recommendation.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back