Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
It looks like we are going to war any day now, but right now the moon is full. Wouldn't it make sense to wait until a new moon, or is that not so critical? What is the ideal amount of moonlight for using night vision goggles? A sliver? None? Is it better to have moonlight for an airborne invasion?
<-----Jimi over there was jump qualified in the army, but I'm a civilian. I just wondered if it made sense to attack under a full moon.

Moon stuff

Jimi,

Idealy you would want as much moon as possible for target acquisition issues, but most ordnance dropped early I imagine will be GPS guided to start.

With high altitude GPS bombing.......no moon required

No moon would also help conceal the attack.

So, I dont think at this point commanders are going to wait for a certain moon cycle to begin.........

Just sit back and enjoy the show............and pray for our folks to come home soon.

Kid

Gen 3 NVGs work optimally with about 25% illumination. Ideally, it's desireable to attack with a new moon with airdrop/paratroops, but it's not a determining factor. Given the fact that we have air supremacy, it's not a huge deal.

Of course, ideally, we should have attacked two weeks ago with the 1st Inf Div staging out of eastern Turkey, but I appears that the Turkish government manages it foreign relations with the same skill that it manages it's economy.

Politics wins out over operations most of the time.

At least with a full moon, the surrendering Iraqi troops won't get lost in the dark as they walk towards the FEBA with their hands raised.

Well just a guess, Bush said he will attack at a time of his choosing, and there is probally going to be a week of bombing before the troops head in. So it will probally be near the new moon then.

ShawnC said:
Well just a guess ... there is probally going to be a week of bombing before the troops head in.

Not this time, I'm afraid... My guess is a massive bombing campaign with a nearly simultaneous armor and airborne invasion on a scale not seen since WWII. I also think its a distinct possibility Saddam doesn't get his full 48 hrs... Just a very wild guess but I'm betting 2 pm ET tomorrow.

Good luck fellas... it's payback time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back