• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New Chief Pilots at ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This last paragraph indicates that you may be out of touch. We MAY have a good CPO office now--the jury is still out and the cows have not come home. What rules do they know? They MAY know the same rules YOU and I are suppose to know. When you don't know the rules that you are suppose to know, you basically yield power to someone else--maybe, a CP. The CP should have a good relationship with the GO, they work for the G.O. and were ordained by the d.o.--and they jump through his hoops and deliver his message. They don't work with managment--they are management, or their pawns--Geesh! New culture? It's more like a new honeymoon--one we have been on before and the CPO has nothing to do with it. They have no power--they work for Julius Caesar!
typical union hardliner nutjob....feel free to move on. Nobody wants you to be so mistreated. You deserve much better than you could ever get here. You are such a wonderful person and a fantastic employee. Surely some other company somewhere can see you true worth.

typical union hardliner nutjob....feel free to move on. Nobody wants you to be so mistreated. You deserve much better than you could ever get here. You are such a wonderful person and a fantastic employee. Surely some other company somewhere can see you true worth.

Union Hardliner? Hardly! Kool-Aid drinker? Never, not from management bowl or the Union. Move on? It's not different at any other airline, some better, some worse--according to friends and fellow former employees. I do deserve much better, and so do YOU! If your standard of expectation is of anything less, then you probably will consistently settle for something less. A wonderful person? Generally, I treat others the way I want to be treated, but I am not an unhealthy people pleaser at my expense. Fantastic employee? Like most of my fellow professionals, and probably you, I give 150% at what I do because of work ethic, personal pride, and personal responsibility in my everyday endeavors. However, my fault is I expect the same for those for whom I work.

Finally, I know and am comfortable with my self-worth. And from reading your posts, it's clear you know yours. At this company, it's the employees, for the most part, that have made it a good place to work, despite the other issues. I choose to stay, but I will never settle for being middle of the pack and will demand no more of others than I would demand of myself. But, I will not settle for mediocracy--ever!

This last paragraph indicates that you may be out of touch. We MAY have a good CPO office now--the jury is still out and the cows have not come home. What rules do they know? They MAY know the same rules YOU and I are suppose to know. When you don't know the rules that you are suppose to know, you basically yield power to someone else--maybe, a CP. The CP should have a good relationship with the GO, they work for the G.O. and were ordained by the d.o.--and they jump through his hoops and deliver his message. They don't work with managment--they are management, or their pawns--Geesh! New culture? It's more like a new honeymoon--one we have been on before and the CPO has nothing to do with it. They have no power--they work for Julius Caesar!

Relax! I've been here a long time and know we have better advocates now than at any time since I've been here. When I said rules, I meant the contract, and in my case they've interpretted it without an agenda for either side. I know the rules, and it's good to know that when there is an issue I don't have to start by trying to figure out what "is" is.

It's nice to have CPs who don't have you on the speaker phone in front of all their friends when they talk to you about something.

Relax! I've been here a long time and know we have better advocates now than at any time since I've been here.
Advocates? Seriously, are you saying the CP's are an advocate for pilots? Sorry, but they are not your advocate. A better analogy would be that they are, maybe, Referee's, but that really is not a fit definition, either. They are really Company representatives, and their job is to administer policy and supervise, but more importantly to protect the Company first. And, for me, that's OK, but, I know they are not my advocate. From time to time, they can be your facilitator. But, they are given the company and legal authority, they can be your Disciplinarian/Terminator or an agent therof. Someone who can discipline or terminate you or be ordered to discipline or terminate, is not your advocate--herein lies the conflict of interest.
When I said rules, I meant the contract, and in my case they've interpretted it without an agenda for either side. I know the rules, and it's good to know that when there is an issue I don't have to start by trying to figure out what "is" is.
The CP's are not contract experts. If you need an interpretation on something you are unsure of, contact the pilots or lawyer who negotiated it, or the ACC. Reading the contract and having general knowledge is a good thing, but many times it means nothing until there is an actual situation that it may apply. Unfortunately, as pilots or CP's, we can read the language, but may not know or understand the intent. That "is" the fact.

It's nice to have CPs who don't have you on the speaker phone in front of all their friends when they talk to you about something.

I would agree. I do not like that tactic, either. I always ask, is this a speaker phone and/or is this phone recorded. Some of the former ones did put you on speaker phone. However, it seems to be easy to determine most of the time and, personally, I would not participate in that unprofessional and unethical trick.

Please do not take my opinion as an attack on the CPO. That is not the case, at all. It is always good to have people in those positions that are approachable, likeable, and have integrity. However, their role is not advocacy for pilots. Cheers!

Last edited:
I will not pull that b.s.

It would go against my fbi training.

I've been in a grievance hearing before, and after that experience I'll take a CP that I have a relationship with and I trust before a rep that's just in it for the typical "association vs company" ego conflict. I'm glad we have ALPA and I support them, we need them at ASA, but in my opinion our reps don't have the pilots' best interest in mind.

I've been in a grievance hearing before, and after that experience I'll take a CP that I have a relationship with and I trust before a rep that's just in it for the typical "association vs company" ego conflict. I'm glad we have ALPA and I support them, we need them at ASA, but in my opinion our reps don't have the pilots' best interest in mind.

Agreed........

Frankly, I'm impressed with the cadre of guys we have in the CPOs. I'm not looking for someone to snow me over and dazzle me with sunshine when I'm trying to weasle my way out of something- but I AM looking for a group of guys that will tell me like it is, and will back me 100% when I'm in the right. I feel we've got a pilot friendly group of guys that actually listen.

Good Luck!

Latest resources

Back