New 135 Duty and Rest Requirements

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cpt Splash

Anybody have any information and guidance on this New 135 reg. concerning Duty and rest requirements? There are rumors going around that FAA is requiring 2.5 pilots per airplane and that all 135 are going to have to start providing everybody with schedules.

I'm all for a better schedule, but if this goes into play, a lot of people will have better schedules.. sitting at home on the couch because the op went out of business.

sb

Anybody that goes out of business over this was probably going to anyway. With new rules in effect, the playing field will be level. (In a sense that everybody will have to comply.)

Honestly, it's about time the govrenment took more of an interest in tightening oversight in the 135 arena. Many of these operators are marginally safe at best. For some reason the fuzz knowingly chooses to ignore it.

Could someone please just post the proposed changes, for some reason my access codes to the NBAA site isn't working...

LJDRVR said:
Anybody that goes out of business over this was probably going to anyway. With new rules in effect, the playing field will be level. (In a sense that everybody will have to comply.)

Honestly, it's about time the govrenment took more of an interest in tightening oversight in the 135 arena. Many of these operators are marginally safe at best. For some reason the fuzz knowingly chooses to ignore it.

I would add that anyone that goes out of business over this SHOULD be out of business.

In my opinion, this isn't a change of the rules, it is a rewording existing rules due to the long "tradition" of abuse by many operators, inspectors, and unfortunately many pilots whom either can't or chose not to understand and comply with the FAR's as written.

I have always been baffled at the ignorant interpretations that some operators and even inspectors derive in the face of the current regulations, numerous legal and chief counsel opinions, official notices, etc. Of course many knowingly violate the reg's and try to justify it by claiming they must to be competitive.....if so, then back to my first statement.

My concern is as usual, will they ever actually adopt this in a timely manner or will this be typical FAA bureaucracy. Then when they do, it will still require COMPETENT and DILIGENT ENFORCEMENT, which is the real issue!

FlyingMoose said:
I would add that anyone that goes out of business over this SHOULD be out of business.

In my opinion, this isn't a change of the rules, it is a rewording existing rules due to the long "tradition" of abuse by many operators, inspectors, and unfortunately many pilots whom either can't or chose not to understand and comply with the FAR's as written.

I have always been baffled at the ignorant interpretations that some operators and even inspectors derive in the face of the current regulations, numerous legal and chief counsel opinions, official notices, etc. Of course many knowingly violate the reg's and try to justify it by claiming they must to be competitive.....if so, then back to my first statement.

My concern is as usual, will they ever actually adopt this in a timely manner or will this be typical FAA bureaucracy. Then when they do, it will still require COMPETENT and DILIGENT ENFORCEMENT, which is the real issue!

Amen, Brother.

The average 135 operator puts their pilots through an abbreviated indoc, glossing over those rules that could potentially cost the operator lost charter revenue. Most pilots are lazy, 135 folks are no different. If they have a question concerning a regulation, they will ask a peer for interpretation, or even worse, their employer. Pilots have heard old wives tales concerning how a particular reg works, and are more than happy to pass along the heresay. Ask a CP or a DO, and more often you'll get an answer along the lines of: "Our POI says it's O.K. to do it this way." Or they'll just lie to you.

You guys and gals flying 135 put your certificates jeopardy on a regular basis, all for no particular good reason. Here's the way to educate yourself:

Look it up. If it's open to interpretation, research the NTSB ALJ and FAA Chief Legal Counsel rulings. Those are the only and final word conerning how a specific regulation is worded/enforced. Also look at the case history of each of the regs and see how the FAA has violated pilots in the past. You do this on a couple of basic regulations and you're certain to find several regs you've completely misunderstood.

For those of you looking for a good start, google jetlaw and summit aviation.

Anyone have some link to this or any other specific information. No offense, but it would be nice to understand exactly what we're discussiing.

What stage of implementation is this in ? I coudn't find a NPRM on the FAA site about it...

Latest resources

Back