Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Netjets IBB 18 day schedule, 4 on 3 off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something every NJA pilot needs to understand is that we WILL be used more on start and finish days. It was made clear at the table that we should expect to fly, fly, fly on days 1 and the finish day. Why else would we get a raise?

The pilots should get a raise because profits are way up and they have been largely responsible for that. Out on the line they've been stepping up. Even knowing that motivated workers are always more productive, the fast turn around was amazing. Clear evidence that a company's greatest asset is its workforce. WB and RTS are wise enough to keep a good thing going and everyone knows that money talks.

Additionally, the Union Training Committee deserves a great deal of credit for leading the way in new program development that has streamlined training and saved the company millions. When the 2005 CBA was signed leaders from both sides agreed to work together to cut costs and training was targeted as the place to start. Olsen handed the task to an experienced, talented volunteer who built the UTC from scratch. The Chairman and his recruited team came through w/flying colors. Upper Management has been very pleased w/the results. So in the spirit of one good deed deserves another, it makes perfect sense to use part of the millions being saved to give the pilots a raise. I'm not surprised at all because I watched it happen...;) Like IBB, much of the Union's finest work is done quietly in the background by dedicated volunteers.

My head hurts!!!!!!

Exactly!!! But my head is hurting trying to figure out how the new IBB/TA is different from the old contract and what the new pay scales are. I've been reading (most likely the wrong posts) and haven't found the above summary as of yet. I guess I'll keep searching and wait for M.P. to get back from his tour.

Baja.

How's Alaska treating you?

GSD - Not able to send PM to you. In a nutshell all is good over here. Just got 1st month of not being on reserve (1yr.) Driving to work is better than going back to NWA. Our contract is nowhere in sight and upgrade is 9 years out. Not sure I want to wait that long to put some $$ in the bank. Just looking at all my options.

Being based in SAN would be great and there might be a better QOL at NJA (If I can decipher the new changes.)

You getting ready to move seats yet?

Baja.

Don't see where I will be flying more on the first and last days unless they hire some different schedulers. I use to worry about the inefficiency of the operation. Sent in my share of waste mgm rpts. It is akin to urniating into a strong breeze. The 18 and 15 day schedules are certainly new tools. However, with the same carpenters (schedulers) at work I don't expect any improment in the product.

If your seniority could hold 4 on 3 off (which works out to 18 on and 12 off in a 30 day month) will NJA scheduling allow it?
That way only 3 nites a week in a hotel and 4 with my wife.

dude thats a stupid schedule......your working more than your off......

... The 18 and 15 day schedules are certainly new tools. However, with the same carpenters (schedulers) at work I don't expect any improment in the product.

Yes, those same schedulers will still be there, but there has been a change in attitude, at least among upper management. Also, they won't be working on the product alone. This time the Union Scheduling Committee will be heavily involved and they have invited those w/prior PBS experience to participate. Surely that will make a difference? I certainly hope so and I have my fingers crossed for all involved.

Considering that the 18 day is an optional schedule, it seems logical that if NJA wants pilots to bid it they will make it an attractive alternative. There's a strong built-in incentive when their target audience has the leverage of being able to vote with their feet by moving to another schedule. In the past, pilots on the 17 day schedule were stuck there until senior enough to bid off. This time we're seeing a big difference that will make a big difference, IMO.

I think that the cooperative spirit of IBB will carry over into implementation. According to my #1 source, Management has mentioned that the credibility of the 18 day schedule must be proven by making sure pilots get some of their preferences.

I hope everyone's having a good weekend :)
Netjetwife

So here's the question of the day...hang out in the right seat an extra year or so and keep that nice 15 day sched... or take the money of the upgrade and hate life because of having to pick the other 2 scheds, neither of which appeal to me (money isn't too critcal, and after Uncle Sam, there aint too much difference anyway).
Ah, he11, take the upgrade, but wait, I want to be home, but there's money with the upgrade, but I'll be home less....:smash: (repeat several times)

Let's not forget that one of the biggest benefits of the 18-day schedule (over the current 18-day Reserve) is that you know your work days by the 15th of the month prior. Preferences are a bonus as they are not guaranteed.
In my opinion, the 18-day is the working man's schedule...and the compensation is accordingly. Be prepared to work 18-days, not any less, because the preferences may not be granted if they result in less than 18 work days in a month (read: no gaming the system). A little thought will tell you that first and last days are not very productive, so the company will have the most efficiency by limiting those low-productivity days (read: fewer short tours).
If you want short tours, go for the 15-day schedule, but at 10% max, it will probably be bid by the senior guys. The rest of those who desire shorter than 7 day tours will need to bid the 18-day and preference 5 and 6 day tours (which you'll know by the 15th of the month prior).
I see the 18-day as a high paying 7&_ schedule...you may work 7 days at a time, and you may not be able to look 6 years down the road and see which days you'll have off, but you'll still be able to make plans 15-45 days in advance, and use PTO when you don't get your preferred days off. After all, the 7&7 isn't that rigid until you find out if you have training by the 15th of the month prior.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back