Need some advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

11thHour

First a bit of background on myself, in highly abridged form ;) . After two years at a regional with most of it on reserve, I gained tunnel vision and lost sight of my long term goals. I got so wrapped up in what I disliked about the position rather than the positives, that I quit. Yes, I quit. I tried for a long term leave of absence and voluntary furlough, but no deal, so I left the company. I wanted to take some time out from flying and think things through; make sure I wanted to live half my life out of a hotel and etc.

I found a job in airport ops that pays what a first year captain would have made at the regional, and I have more days off. So overall, my lifestyle is much better than it was at the regional. BUT, guess what... I DEEPLY REGRET MY DECISION! What I wouldn't give to go back in time and renig on the decision to leave... Having been out of flying for nearly 9 months, I have realized that YES, that is what I want to do the rest of my life. I miss being a professional pilot very much. The time away has only shown me I that I should have never left. The biggest problem was not the job, but my attitude, and my loss of determination.

So here I sit, kicking my own a$$, wracking my brain about how to get back on track. I have just over 2500 hours total, with 1300 multi and 1100 turbine time. However, as stated, I have not flown in nearly 9 months, so I am no longer current of course. I have kept up in the books though. So...what would some of you recommend I do to get back into a regional? I left in good standing, no failed line/pro checks etc. The acp told me when I left he was sad to see me go, he called me a "model pilot". Because I do not currently have a flying job, what could I do to get my career back on track? I know, with the current job market, I shouldn't get my hopes up, and that's fine, I'll keep pluggin' along here as long as it takes. Thanks in advance.

Dude- I feel your pain! I loved the company until I upgraded! Now I sit reserve away from home hanging on to my position by my fingernails (we are retiring the Emb and having displacements). But there is nothing I would rather do! Enough of me, on to your problem. First, run don't walk to your CP's office and see if you can come back. Next flood the regionals with your resume. In your cover letter acknowledge that you are an Airline Pilot at heart and that this environment is the best place for you!
Don't get down on yourself! Reserve sucks! Even if you live in domicile! So I don't think you will have any difficulty getting people to see your thought process at the time. I know Comair is hiring.
I have a buddy that left the regional to go to a frac and is miserable! He is thinking of leaving flying altogether. You are not alone! I wish you the best and hope you find your way back onto the flight deck soon!! Wil

Returning to What You Love

I left aviation in '96 for much better money in another occupation and had the fever to return in late 2001 (pretty ridiculous considering what was going on in late 2001.) Nevertheless, like you, I desperately felt that I belonged in aviation.

Bottom-line: it took me from October 2001 to June 2003 to get back to the airlines. I started by doing some instructing for a couple of months and worked hard with another instructor to get my ATP. Then I began flying a Cheyenne for a local corporation. Nothing like single-pilot IFR in a turbo-prop to shake off the rust. In the meantime, I put out about 150 resumes with airlines, fractionals, PT 135 operations & any reputable corporation flying jets. I subscribed to a few online job boards (AEPS was one of the best) and, after about 4 months, got a call from an east coast 135 operation flying large business jets. That job enabled me to make a lot of contacts in the industry including one with a popular national airline that is doing very well right now. I'm pleased to be one of their newest FOs.

So, it can be done. It's going to take some patience and perseverance but, if you want it bad enough, you can make your way back.

Best of luck.

Latest resources

Back