Need Help on Meigs Trip

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I'm planning a trip to Meigs for this Thursday and was wondering if anyone has any tips on flying up there.

I've never been up there, but I've heard that they give you a crew car for free. Also what are the landing fees if you only stay for a day?

meigs rocks. just something about actually flying into an airport that i've been "flying" from since i was in middle school. (ms flightsim) it is pricey, but you're gonna get that any time you go to a popular location. check out key west on airnav. you'll get the same comments as you did for meigs. enjoy it. probably won't be there forever. see ya.

starvingcfi

Just remeber to bring your wallet!! The fuel and landing fees are rather pricey, the view is great! I just was in there twice today on a Citation trip.........in a small airplane it is even better, just keep ypur eyes open for other airplanes, lots of shore riders going by the loop for a view!

Have fun!!

Make sure the WX doesn't suck. I taxied out for an IFR departure back to Omaha, and chicago stopped all IFR departures out of Miegs only. Sat there for 2 hours and the WX wasn't even that bad. Nice location, little pricey but your downtown.

Thanks for the help.

I could spring for the costs but the "unusual approach" scares me. How hard is the approach and how is it different from say Burke Lakefront in Cleveland?

If you get caught in a pinch with approaches into Meigs, you can try to shoot an approach into Midway to get below the clouds and then skirt on over to Meigs. I've done this before... shoot the ILS 4R into MDW and then landed at CGX. The traffic has to allow for it of course and they can't be too busy, or they won't let you do it.

You've heard about the instrument approaches... as others said, you'd be better off shooting the ILS 4 at MDW and then shooting over.

As for the visual approach, it's a piece of cake. First of all, get yourself a Chicago Class B map. It has all of the required altitudes, frequencies, and landmarks on it. Bring a camera too.

From the south, call Gary tower for a transition, then once past them call Signature for a spot, get the ATIS, then Chicago approach for flight following. Flight following is important because this is a busy corridor. When you approach the hotels (about 5NM south of CGX... marked on the chart) call CGX tower. They'll tell you to report some landmark... probably the hotels and if landing to the north make a straight in. If landing to the south, it's a left downwind and you turn over Navy Pier. The approach isn't too tight because the high buildings are on the other side of Grant Park (about 1/2 mile west). There is a high rise condo building at the base of Navy Pier (rumor has it that Oprah owns the penthouse condo) but you don't have to get that close to it. When you land, tower will taxi you to parking and the FBO will guide you in. You get the red carpet treatment, even if you're in an old 152. It's neat.

From the north, call the tower before Belmont Harbor and reverse the procedure.

Either way, if you stay below 2500 feet and stay over the water (but only about 1/4 to 1/2 mile) you'll have no problem.

You used to be able to ask Meigs Tower for the "scenic route" where you could fly around The Loop on the back side, circling the Sears Tower. I don't know if they still let you in this post 9/11/02 world. It's worth a try if you can.

By the way, you can just do a low approach if you don't want to land and spend the money. Tower is cool about that (or at least they used to be). Landing, parking, and ramp fees will set you back about $20 in a light single and about $35 for a light twin. Fuel is about $3.80+ for 100LL

Have fun and be careful. I used to go into there weekly when I was a CFI and it's one of my favorite memories.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back