Navy/Marine Reserve in S. TX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Anyone out there have info on becomming a reserve flight instructor for Training Wing 4 flying either the T-34 or T-44, TC-12?

Board just met a couple of weeks ago

If you're not current in the airplane, it's not very easy. We just had a board a couple of weeks ago and the only guys picked up for T-34s were the Standardization Officers in the squadron.

Some other pretty qualified guys, who are already in the active duty side of the squadron, didn't get the nod.

The big factor, from what I hear, is command backing. If the CO/XO pick you as one of the bubbas, you're on your way. So, that pretty much means the guys who are currently on active duty with the squadron have preference.

I've seen guys from outside the suadron get picked up, but most of them were pre-9/11.

The competition here, as with any flying job lately, is pretty fierce.

I know a number of guys (T-34, T-44 and TC-12) who are going to use the Reserves here as a way to stay current, while they wait for another flying job (or the job they've been furloughed from) to open up. These guys are getting jobs as Medical Supply salesmen, Home Depot salesmen, anything they can to put food on the table, to hold steady until the majors hire again.

Plus, there are a bunch of P-3 pilots here at Customs that are flying as reservists, as well.

Sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear, but things are tough all over.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back