• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yea I know

Thats where I got my name from.

ScramJet

I'm going to take this thread another direction.

I think the X43 and the show boating by NASA are pathetic.

In a nut-shell, they took an unmanned missile put a scramjet on it, and made 7.0 Mach.

You mean it took 43 years to get another .3 Mach since the X-15???????? Which was a manned airplane. Mach 6.7 and 354,000'

NASA should be ashamed. We had the technology in the 1950s to develop the SR71 and the X15. What did we do with it? My wristwatch has more computing power than the rocket that took us to the Moon. Even the Concorde is a dinosaur now. With modern technology, computing power, and production methods, it should be common place by now to be flying at Mach 3+.

Put this in perspective. The P51 was designed on a cocktail napkin and was flying and in production in 90 days. The F22 has been in development for over 15 years. By the time it gets into a squadron it will be OLD technology.

Come on people, get with the program!

Last edited:
NJA Capt,

Actually it is a big deal. The X43 was the first successful flight test of an air-breathing vehicle capable of reaching those kinds of speeds. It's true that the X-15 did it a long time ago, but that was rocket powered and had a heavy Inconel fuselage that was designed by guys with slide rules who had limited knowledge of hypersonic aerodynamics. It's easy to make something go that fast when you use the brute force approach (60,000 lbs thrust). The technology developed by the X43 may be the impetus for hypersonic air travel that would be efficient, and therefore profitable. Former projects along those lines, like the NASP, didn't have the technology available, so they would have been money losers even if they were deployed (like Concorde).

You're right that NASA should have been flying this a long time ago. It all boils down to funding. No Bucks- No Buck Rogers.

Let's not forget that we have come a long way from the SR-71. We just don't know it publicly due to the secrecy of Skunk and Phantom works.

EagleRJ said:
The X43 was the first successful flight test of an air-breathing vehicle capable of reaching those kinds of speeds.
We had ramjets (D-21s) flying from SR71s (Launched at 3.2M) and B52s in 1963-1964.

It cruised at M3.3+ at FL900. Not bad for slide rules :cool:

PS....Want to see the Buck Rogers bucks?
Do a search for NASA 's aircraft registry.

Do they really need:
30 T38s
9 F18s
2 F15s
2 SR71s
3 747s
9 Gulfstreams
Close to 100 aircraft not including the Shuttles. That's a heck of a budget.

Last edited:
labbats said:
Let's not forget that we have come a long way from the SR-71. We just don't know it publicly due to the secrecy of Skunk and Phantom works.

That's a good point.

The NASA group is an entirely separate group of science heads.

The other stuff we have right now won't come to light for several years.

Unless I misread the press release, everyone seems to be missing the major point of the hypersonic flight. After the rocket booster accelerated the aircraft to a high enough velocity for the scramjet engine to operate, the hypersonic aircraft engine operated for 11-seconds on just over 2 pounds of fuel (Hydrogen?) while continuing to accelerate! Given the relative ease of obtaining hydrogen (in comparison to petroleum based fuels), excepting for the launch process, wouldn't that make the scramjet extremely fuel efficient?

Michael

"Do they really need:
30 T38s
9 F18s
2 F15s
2 SR71s
3 747s
9 Gulfstreams."

Yes, they probably do, in addition, I think they have some U2's/TR1, DC8, 707's etc.

The T38's are used as chase planes and to train/currency for the astronauts. The 74's fly the shuttle around. Gulfstreams for transport and a couple of them are set up for simulating shuttle approaches. SR71 for high altitude research and earth sciences. The F-15 and 18's do research, including research on how to make the airplane more combat effective, AoA research, steering with engines.

I think you get the drift. While a bureacracy like everything else, these people are on the cutting edge of technology, developing stuff that will make our lives better or try to go beyond what we are currently capable of. They are in many cases, employing the finest research scientist, people who could make a bundle in the private sector, but chose NASA because of dreams. NASA is woefully underfunded, but politicians do not promote Hubble or the ISS when HHS and Medicare gets so many more voters to pay attention. Were it up to misguided, shortsighted people like Rev. Jackson, we would have no NASA and would never have gone to the moon.

The moon, what a romantic idiocy! Well, not really, the advances we made by going there, has paid back handsomely, provided everything from microwave ovens to computer technology, diapers to sunglasses. Perhaps more importantly, it showed, that once we put our minds to it, despite the odds, we humans can accomplish amazing things.

NASA, we take tomorrows dreams and make them reality!

I really do believe in NASA, and believe it should be well funded.
But really, 30 T-38s? I never really got the tandem trainer vs. side by side shuttle concept. Let them fly the Jayhawk. You don't see 747 pilots do recurrent in DC-9s. The whole Astronauts arriving in FL in separate T-38s always seemed a waste. What about some nice coach tickets like the rest of us. :D

I would venture a guess that none of those 747s have given piggy backs twice in the same day. Much less to two different Shuttles in the same day. Is there really a need for 3 747 for Shuttle transports?

No doubt that NASA is sitting on the cutting edge of technology. The problem is they have been sitting on it for 43 years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back