Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyForFood_NOT

I recently had an interview with BMA.

I don't wanna sound naive or like an ignorant rookie, but before I went there I read lots of comments in here. Most negative, BUT ...

Once I arrived at their HQ (Portsmouth, NH) the company doesn't seem as bad as it is "negativelly bashed" on these message boards. They have (if I remember correctly) 19 J-31, refurbished from a desert - more coming. There were about 5 727s being worked on (most ex United) - also more on the way. BMA is flying throughout the north-east, but possibly more cities are comming in the future (same for the maine line - PanAm).

I was interviewed by Mr. J, the flight training director, and the chief pilot. First a written test (FAR/AIM stuff) and then the oral (more of a casual talk/info exchange). Friendly atmosphere.

Yes, you do have to sign a 5 yr contract for $14,000. After 2 years it goes down by prorate) to $2000 and stays at that #. You do pretty much have to move to NH for the job. The schedule now is 6 on 1 off, but that's why they're hiring more pilots - company is understaffed, also due to the expansions. So that's good news. Pay is $24,000, which comparing to other commuters (even CJ and EMB jets) is pretty much a "better pay" for a start. Per diem is a little over a dollar. They offer free uniforms, pay during training is $25 a day + free hotel.

Besides that, I think if anyone got an interview with them, I would advise to go and see for yourself how the company is before you buy into the negative - and post something up for god's sake! :)

good luck to all finally getting into the 121 world. LATER!

PS: And to those "anonymous" reading these boards, whether I got the job or not, the interview was still fun (with a shocking surprise at the end). Definitelly worth the 7 hour drive.

Did they ask you about moving to Puerto Rico?

They have an add on climbto350 looking for J31 crews based in P.R.

it's all nonsense!

last year as a furloughed pilot, who was selling cars and baking on the pavement of a honda dealership, I recall my neck hurting from looking up so often when I heard the sound of airplanes.

I interviewed withPanAm and they offered me a position only to rescind it when things went sour. I was willing to do it when the phone wasn't ringing.

the point is you can't tell me a young guy(and I'm not young) who is flight instructing, wouldn't give his left testicle to get ina turbine airplane Part 121 to go forward. It don't matter what they pay or what the schedule is. The decision is all up to the person. Now sure, many regionals differ, but what do say to the minor league baseball player riding buses to bumf$%k, North Dakota to play. Give it up! of course not. It's all about human will and perseverence. why tell a guy anonymously, whom you don't know not to go where you consider it trifle, when he would be willing to sleep on the doorstep to greet the janitor the next morning.

Don't piss on my cornflakes!

ahhh once again. The old tale. Will do it for the love of the job instead of the self respect of yourself.

Angrynhpilot
If you do not like the job, then quit. This is a free society. Slaves went away with the civil war. With your posted time, you should not have a problem finding a flying job that you would enjoy, or are you just the type of person that likes to complain.

diesel.....

deisel,

i geuss what your saying is if you don't do it for love, then it must be for self respect. to follow your logic, then there must an awful lot of pilots who don't love their job, but have a ton of self respect. you can't have it both ways.

by the way, to stay current, to be marketable, one must do what one must do. on this anonymous board, it's easy to spew philosophy and talk self respect. the reality there must be alot of liars since the industry and the lack thereof continues to go downhill.

Your point Deisel!

Latest resources

Back