• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Multi Engine First Start?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In most light twins (this thread probably doesn't belong in the regulatory forum), while the battery may be closer to one engine than the other, the size of the starter cables from the battery mean that there's no significant voltage drop to either engine

There's actually a very significant voltage drop between the battery and the starter when you start the engine. That's why the battery cables are so large. If the battery is at 12 volts your lucky to get 10 volts across the starter during the start.

Scott

on the pistons, i generally do right side first because of the ac running off the right side. but then again i live in florida where you get drenched just sitting ouside for 5 minutes

FWIW, the CRJ starts the right engine first since the outboard brakes are powered by the #2 (right engine driven) hydraulic system. This allows the aircraft to single engine taxi, and still have all brakes available.

I typically start the Citation right engine first since the door is on the left side of the plane, and we sometimes board up with one engine running. Or alternatively, I will look to see which side has more fuel and start that one first to avoid needing to crossfeed on the taxiout. (Fuel imbalances are common if you don't fuel on perfectly level ground or the valves aren't opened all the way).

Latest resources

Back