MSA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

11thHour

Hypothetical: You are being radar vectored, off route, for an approach. You are not cleared for the approach, and are at your assigned altitude. ATC says "Radar Contact Lost". You are not on a published route, not cleared for approach. Is the correct thing to do (other than clarify with atc of course) to climb to the MSA since they cannot ensure you are above the MVA's for your location?

11thHour said:
Hypothetical: You are being radar vectored, off route, for an approach. You are not cleared for the approach, and are at your assigned altitude. ATC says "Radar Contact Lost". You are not on a published route, not cleared for approach. Is the correct thing to do (other than clarify with atc of course) to climb to the MSA since they cannot ensure you are above the MVA's for your location?

I suspect if that were to happen you would not just hear "radar contact lost" you'd hear something like "radar contact lost, climb and maintain XX, cleared direct to YY". They'd have to put you non-radar, they can't just abandon you in the middle of nowhere.

So I guess as a hypothetical, yes, I'd climb, if ATC just threw it's hands up and went home what choice would I have?

ATC would have to provide you with relevant instructions.

If they don't, then you are lost comms, and should follow that procedure...proceed DIRECTLY to your next expected fix, route or airway. Also climb/maintain the highest of the assigned, minimum published (MSA or MORA in this case), or expected altitude.

Your assumption is correct, maintaining your situational awareness is key, take into consideration the 747 cargo plane going into Kuala Lumpur, received an ATC instruction like "descend two four hundred", (supposed to be 2400) and went to 400 MSL ! Don't blindly accept all instructions from ATC.

Latest resources

Back