More questions for Skywest Dispatchers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dxchick

1. What is the max salary percentage that Skywest matches (ASA matches up to 75% of first 8% after 10 years of service) in the 401k program?

2. What is the maximum amount of vacation a dispatcher can earn and what is the accrual schedule?

I presume you are talking 401k match. SkyWest matches 100% of the first 2% after 1 year, 100% of the first 4% after 5 years, and 100% of the first 6% after 10 years service. In other words, ASA and SkyWest will kick in a max of 6% but the SKyWesters only have to put in 6% instead of 8% to get it.

We are eligible for 401K after 6 months of full time employment. The company matches 100% up to 10% and you are vested after 5 years. (Meaning after five years the company's contribution is yours to keep.)

I'm curious about schedules. We bid every ten weeks for a schedule. As it turns out, the top 10% of seniority are awarded weekends off...the rest of us bottom feeders scavenge over what remains. (We have had no growth and no movement in our department in over 5 years.)

Do any regional carriers have rotating schedules? i.e. 4 on 4 off, 5 on 3 off, 6 on 3 off, etc.?

If so, how were you able to negotiate them for your CBA? :confused:

2. What is the maximum amount of vacation a dispatcher can earn and what is the accrual schedule?

VACATION ACCRUAL
After 6 mo= .0385/hr
" 5 yrs= .0462/hr
" 10 yrs= .0577/hr
" 15 yrs= .0615/hr
" 16 yrs= .0654/hr
" 17 yrs= .0692/hr
" 18 yrs= .0731/hr
" 19 yrs= .0769/hr

No more than 320 hrs of vacation may be accrued at any time.

PERSONAL USE DAYS-
Personal use time is to be used for sick days or other personal needs.
User hour accrual is based on all pay base hours worked.
Full Time
After 90 days= .0193/hr
After 2 yrs= .0272/hr
After 5 yrs= .0385/hr

An employee will have the option of receiving pay in lieu of earned or
accrued personal use days at the end of each calendar year. This will be
paid in the last half of November of each year.

You do the math.
Schedule? 4 on 3 off, bid every 3 months. Only after 2 yrs, I would have at least one weekend day off if I was still on the dispatch seniority list. Lots of OT to be had too.

Do any regional carriers have rotating schedules? i.e. 4 on 4 off, 5 on 3 off, 6 on 3 off, etc.?

If so, how were you able to negotiate them for your CBA? :confused:

ASA does not have a rotating shedule. We work 4 on 3 off, with fixed days off. We currently bid once a year per our contract, but management reserves the right to hold additional bids as needed (which occurs every year.)

Schedule? 4 on 3 off, bid every 3 months. Only after 2 yrs, I would have at least one weekend day off if I was still on the dispatch seniority list. Lots of OT to be had too.

ONLY 2 years? Eight years here...still no weekends in sight! :crying:

I feel sorry for the person who is the most junior in our department WITH weekends off because he never sees his days off! He is always "junior assigned" to work. The more junior people will call in sick to get the weekends off and he ends up working them! While the reserve dispatchers are covering vacations. :mad: (Gotta love our CBA!)

VACATION ACCRUAL
After 6 mo= .0385/hr
" 5 yrs= .0462/hr
" 10 yrs= .0577/hr
" 15 yrs= .0615/hr
" 16 yrs= .0654/hr
" 17 yrs= .0692/hr
" 18 yrs= .0731/hr
" 19 yrs= .0769/hr

No more than 320 hrs of vacation may be accrued at any time.

PERSONAL USE DAYS-
Personal use time is to be used for sick days or other personal needs.
User hour accrual is based on all pay base hours worked.
Full Time
After 90 days= .0193/hr
After 2 yrs= .0272/hr
After 5 yrs= .0385/hr

An employee will have the option of receiving pay in lieu of earned or
accrued personal use days at the end of each calendar year. This will be
paid in the last half of November of each year.

You do the math.

:eek: 10 years before you see 3 weeks vac.? That sucks right there it does I tell ya'.

Last edited:
:eek: 10 years before you see 3 weeks vac.? That sucks right there it does I tell ya'.

No, not really. Add in the user hours too and 4 day work weeks and a few shift trades and you can get alot more time off than you think. Even after only 2-3 yrs. You are not doing your math correctly.
80hrs x 26 paychecks= 2080 total hrs.
Then 2080hrs x .0385(after 6 mo less than 5 yrs)=80.
Now add in the user hrs:
2080 x .0272 (< 5 yrs) = 56.576.
So the the total time off could be:
56.576 + 80 = 136.6 hrs. which divided by a 4 day work week, 136.6/40hrs = almost 3 1/2 weeks. Now do a few shift trades before the time off and one could have up to a month off. Does that make sense to YA' shooter?

Last edited:
So the personal use days are separate from vacation accrual and cannot be carried over from year to year, right?

Latest resources

Back