• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

More on gas prices...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, here's what I don't get. Government experts seem to be very aware that peak oil might be coming very soon. And from what I've seen, these people have informed the top government leaders about it. And yet, they don't seem to be doing anything to mitigate the effects. Why? If this is really coming in the next couple years, why do they keep proceeding as if it won't be a big deal? Are they really that incompetent? Or are they so caught up in helping their big oil buddies that they're willing to sacrifice the good of the entire country?

Flyer,

There are conspiracy theorists that say Iraq is part of the plan. Iran is also.

If you notice Bush is out touting alternatives. Then again the U.S. govt. alternative lab in Colorado only gets about $150 million a year in govt. money.

I'm as confused as you.

I think they will not acknowledge it because they don't want to give Peak Oil credibility. If the world realized the real problem, then stocks would start going down. People would start saving their money too which is bad for the economy.

Also most of the House Reps and Senators don't have a clue about this. I saw a C-Span speech of Roscoe Bartlett in the House. The crowd had about 50 people in it!! The House members only show up to make a vote.

Nobody has been having speeches about in the Sentate to my knowledge.

I think it's a very small minority that have grasped the problem. I think McCain is one from things I've heard him say.

Bill Clinton of course acknowledged it recently and Hillary voted to go to Iraq and is as hawkish as Bush on Iran. She knows.

Bush and his team have known since they took office from Matthew Simmons and I think a lot that they do is for it. They trust in the free markets a lot though.

This is not an issue we can wait on the free markets to provide for though.

Jet

Last edited:
http://www.tomudall.house.gov/pdf/PeakOilHearingHirschtestimony120705.pdf

That above is the link of the transcript of when Robert Hirsch of the DOE talked to the House about his findings of his team's research. He never spoke to the Senate.

The visual aids are at the bottom.

This link below is DOE study findings about Peak Oil and what its effects on the economy could be. It is good and long:
http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications...aking_NETL.pdf

Roscoe Bartlett says in that speech that I posted a couple posts back that the House and Senate are just learning about Peak Oil and that they are in a way wanting a "second opinion". They don't want to jump to conclusions about what might be happening. They are skeptical in a way.

It's normal to be skeptical.

Jet

Last edited:
Wow you talk about profits as if they are bad. ExxonMobil, Valero, Shell, these are huge companies of course they are going to make huge profits. But look at it like this. They make about 10 cents on the dollar. Swa made 7 cents on the dollar. It seems the oil companies are in line with other companies. If you think there doing way better than everyone else, buy their stock.

If you support win-fall-profits being taxed be aware you could be next when congress sees the profits being made in the sales of private homes. Best to let things stay as thet are.

Actually I dont even think its as high as 10 cents on the dollar. Its been 7-9 in the past couple of years, but I can remember years also when companies lost lots of money and lots of people lost job too. The large oil companies are publicly held companies and profits are divided up by those who own stock. It doesnt just get stuck in some vault somewhere.

I am sure there is plenty of talk of conspiracies of gouging by those who are drinking a class of 6 dollar coffee. Wonder what the profit margin percent is on those?

414Flyer said:
Actually I dont even think its as high as 10 cents on the dollar. Its been 7-9 in the past couple of years, but I can remember years also when companies lost lots of money and lots of people lost job too. The large oil companies are publicly held companies and profits are divided up by those who own stock. It doesnt just get stuck in some vault somewhere.

I am sure there is plenty of talk of conspiracies of gouging by those who are drinking a class of 6 dollar coffee. Wonder what the profit margin percent is on those?

Well I did read last week that Brazil is warning of a coffee shortage for next year, so maybe it's not that high either :rolleyes:

I have a degree in Economics, and just had to say that this thread is ridiculous.

Gas prices are up -- the sky is falling -- boohoo.

Economics. Woohoo. Woop-tee-doo.

The profits only amount to about 8.5 cents per dollar. So that's about 25 cents per gallon.

Gasoline average is $2.92. So even if the oil companies were forced to make 0 profit, the average price would be $2.67!

Is $2.67 that much better than $2.92!!??

NO. Plus the energy companies would now have NOTHING to reinvest into future energy supplies for me and you.

Now if they don't reinvest those profits to future exploration or alternative energies, then we have a problem.

The world's oil companies found less oil the last to years than any years since WWII. They had plenty of incentive to look pretty hard.......

Jet

I wouldn't brag about your degrees unless you have a PhD in Economics and are a professional economist. If not, your economic opinions are of little value. It's kind of like someone with a PPL claiming that his PPL gives him credibility in discussing the nuances of flying jumbojets.

Anyways, I took a real estate financial class many years ago---GRAD LEVEL---and I'm here to tell you, the housing market is going to plateau for a half dozen years or so. You can take that straight to the bank! lol

Shouldn't this thread be called "Moron Gas Prices"?

CE

just sayin'

Latest resources

Back