More on gas prices...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJ-ABX said:
That assumes that you'll buy new. If someone drives a lot of miles and wants to move to a more efficient car they can sell their gas guzzler and buy a more efficient used car for about the same price as what they get on the sale. i.e. Sell an SUV for $10,000 and buy a $10,000 small car, etc.

Looking at the Carmax web site for an example I find an '03 Blazer with 47,000 miles and a '04 Cavalier with 18,000 miles, both listed at $12,000. By selling the Blazer, and buying the Cavalier, you not only improve your gas mileage but you get a newer car with quite a bit fewer miles on it.

Mind you, if you're SELLING your 2003 Blazer, you're NOT
going to get $12,000 for it. Likely, half that. Then you have
to figure how long it will take to save $6K in fuel.

The prices of used efficient cars is absolutely crazy.
I saw a 2000 Toyota Echo with 75k miles going for $9,999
It was $11k new. See my point?

Oh, don't buy a Caviler. :puke:

(just sayin')

CE

CrimsonEclipse said:
Mind you, if you're SELLING your 2003 Blazer, you're NOT
going to get $12,000 for it. Likely, half that.

The point was that those two cars have about the same retail value. That would mean that they'd also have about the same private sale value. If you're going to trade in and buy retail, instead of selling yourself, then you wouldn't be able to move to a newer/lower-mileage economy car.

When it comes to used cars the domestic cars are the best value. They lose a huge percentage of their original value in the first few months while only haven been driven a few miles. Most of the imports hold their value much longer so aren't as great of a deal on the used market.

I found from reading that link better that only $15 billion dollars was spent last year on exploration by the World's PUBLICLY traded oil companies including Russia's, U.S.'s, Europe's, etc.

Exxon made $15 billion in profits in 4 1/2 months alone last year!

The world's publicly traded oil companies didn't spend much at all on exploration.

Exxon didn't even find enough oil from a single field to last ONE DAY at the current 84million barrel/day usage.

From the article:

So to answer some of the questions above - who won and who lost in 2005. None of the International Oil Companies appear to be big winners. Of the 9 discoveries reported to be greater than 100 million BOE, the operators include BP, Woodside, Daewoo, Shell, Lukoil, ONGC, ConocoPhillips, Unocal, and Gujarat SPC. Overall I would say we are all losers. More money chasing smaller volumes in more and more difficult areas. The remaining unexplored areas of the world are fewer and fewer. Not a lot of smiley faces here.

Has it all been found?

Jet

Last edited:
This is the point ----------------------> .

This is you missing the point------------------------------------>

CE

What do you guys think of the tax proposal in post number 100 above?

I think taxes are usually not a good thing unless used properly. If we tax the profits not used for exploration or alternatives, then I would think that would ENCOURAGE them to atleast start planting corn!

They could plant a lot of corn with their $100+ billion/year profits.

They keep buying back their stock which does only the major shareholders any good. Granted they are a public company, but the U.S. needs oil!!

The fact they only spent about $15 billion in exploration last year which includes Russia's oil companies and England's, etc. is pretty pitiful....

Jet

Last edited:
Do you guys believe the saying, "A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS"

Well then you have to look at this picture. It is a graph of world oil production from Jan. 2002 till now (NOT GOOD):
http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/4/15/72931/5527

This graph is a must see and is why oil prices are high!
It has statistics from the IEA and EIA.

You will see that oil production grew very fast until the end of 2004 and has been FLAT since then.

You don't hear about this in the media. Only oil company profits and Iran and China, etc.

There is a lot bigger problem brewing.

It sure looks like we're hitting world peak oil from this picture......

Thoughts???

Jet

Last edited:
I dont see anything alarming about those graphs except to further prove the point Ive made since day one. control of Iraqs oil means you decide if you want to hold back production and keep prices high, or whether you want to pump liquidity into the market.

even with Iraq, production is still at almost record levels.

LJ-ABX said:
They are reinvesting.

Up until last summer's energy bill, you couldn't build a refinnery in the US. Too many bueracratic hurdles, environmental studies and public opposition. Now, for the first time in two decades, there are finally plans underway to build new US refineries.

Even today the oil companies are prohibited from doing new exploration in Alaska and off the coast of Florida, the two most promising sites for new domestic oil production.

reinvesting in what? care to explain?

and those poor energy companies. they couldnt even build one refinery! I am sure they fought tooth and nail to push through though, right? (wrong)

And no they should not drill in Alaska and Florida. It will take a good 5-10 years for that oil to even start hitting the market. What good will that do to help prices? Nothing, it will just allow them to continue to steal public land for FREE to make record profits, then said energy bill will continue to give those poor strugglig companies more tax breaks until they lobby again when a new bill is writen

Production always goes up Big_Al.

There are always records.

The fact that production has plateaud for the last year and a half is significant.

Haven't you seen the news about Iraq. There are insurgents there that hate our guts. The U.S. is not intentionally holding back the oil. The insurgents are blowing up the piplelines every day. The locals call one pipeline "the flute" because it has so many holes.

If oil production declines by more than Iraq pumps will you then think we have a problem, or just say that the producers of the world are holding back oil on purpose?

What did you think about the declining new oil finds. The fact that we found less new oil the last two years of any year since WWII?

Just curious.

Jet

You guys think this whole energy problem is responsible for most of the problems the world faces today?
I mean "resources" are what everyone wants, why countries go to war. Today that resource is Energy, in the form of oil and uranium. No one is going to start a war over diamonds or salt.

It's funny to think about the parallels. In flying, we say "speed is life." More accurately, "ENERGY is life." It is just as true for the survival of modern societies. Survival makes the powerful do all kinds of crazy things, to keep their power. Who is the powerful?? It's the United States. It's China who is growing enormously internationally, financially, militarily. Man, buying a house in central america or northern Canada is looking better and better all the time. Maybe there's a safe island out there that doesn't have too much radiation leftover from testing.

By the way, those of you who are investors, and haven't invested in energy commodities like uranium are missing the boat.

(START SARCASM here) What about the Senate?? So now their big solution is giving us all $100! YIPPEEEEEE! That's great , now I can pay for gas for the next week and a half!!! Yay. The Senate is so smart to think of such a great fix to the problem!! (END SARCASM)

Remember when they sent out checks for like $50 for tax refunds a few years back? How gay was that? I hate this bull$hit. It's like throwing your dog a little scrap to keep it happy. If they really want to throw money at the problem, send me a check for $20,000 or something, not a measly $100. What a joke. And I see it's the oil companies being blamed. Guess what people? Oil companies are businesses trying to max out profits. That's what businesses do. If you want to place blame, place it on your elected officials for giving oil companies all these tax breaks and benefits. Place it on the elected officials who have been corrupted and bribed by big oil. Place the blame on your elected officials who have zero foresight and only know how to deal with whatever problem is getting press at the moment. Blame it on those representatives who, when they do take action, are so ********************ing retarded that they think a little policy like giving back $100 is really going to do jack. Blame it on those elected officials who suppress independent research towards alternative forms of energy. Science and technology are our friends, and the drivers behind America's innovations and greatness. The United States used to be the best at this. Not so any more, thanks to politicians. They need to be finding real solutions, not doing lame investigations which lead to nothing.

Here's something else to consider: There are too many people on the planet. People are living too young, reproducing too quickly, and taking up too much space and resources on this little planet. You won't hear anyone talk about this because it's not politically correct. This is no joke. Overpopulation is THE real problem. Do a google search of Overpopulation. Here's one article to get you started: http://www.meehanreports.com/billionaire.html
http://www.overpopulation.org/

Earth has limited resources. Given a certain population, it can sustain and replenish those resources, keeping us well fed and with plenty of energy. We have far exceeded that population equilibirum and it will grow far, far worse this century. We're at 6.5 Billion people now, and will be close to 10 billion in 30 or 40 years. http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/worldpop.html
We were just at 2.5 Billion in 1950. So if you ever wonder why we're running out of oil, it's because we have WAY more people using it and being supported by it. And I'm not talking about just cars. Oil goes towards many other things too.

CRAZY!

Latest resources

Back