Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beechnut

Ndugu's Foster Dad
No word yet if this means hiring more than the original 140 this year and 300-400 next year. We have been told the aircraft for Atlanta will be IN ADDITION to the original aircraft for United. There will be an AirWis crew base in Atlanta.

AIR WISCONSIN AIRLINES ANNOUCES PARTNERSHIP WITH AIRTRAN AIRWAYS
New JetConnect Product Launches November 15th

APPLETON, WI (September 26, 2002) ---- Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation (“AWAC”) is pleased to announce today that it has entered into an agreement with AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), to fly Canadair Regional Jets as AirTran JetConnect. These aircraft are in addition to the scheduled delivery of 25 CRJs that AWAC expects to go into service on behalf of United Airlines in 2003.
The AirTran operation will be based in Atlanta and begin on November 15th. The initial schedule includes flights to Greensboro, NC, Pensacola, FL, and Savannah, GA all from Atlanta. Most of the initial service will be complementary with AirTran in their current markets.
“We look forward to entering into a partnership with AirTran Airways and expanding our role as a premier regional airline carrier,” stated Geoff Crowley, AWAC’s President and CEO. “We feel this is an excellent opportunity to build on our company’s strengths and help solidify the future of our airline. We are even more pleased that we will be able to work with AirTran, a high quality, low fare airline.”
AWAC is a privately held company providing scheduled passenger and airfreight service from 46 cities in 20 states and Canada with over 325 departures per day. AWAC operates a fleet of seventeen 86-100 seat British Aerospace 146 quad jet aircraft, ten 32 seat Dornier 328 high speed turboprop aircraft and twenty-seven 50 seat Canadair Regional Jets. The company employs about 3,100 people. Visit the Air Wisconsin website at www.airwis.com.
AirTran Airways provides affordable air travel with 388 flights a day to 40 cities throughout the eastern United States. The airline’s hub is at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, the world’s busiest airport (by passenger volume), where it is the second largest carrier operating 151 flights a day. AirTran Airways is a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI).
Unlike other airlines, AirTran Airways never requires a roundtrip purchase or Saturday night stay. The airline offers a Business Class any business can afford, all-assigned seating, a generous frequent flier program, and a corporate program called A2B. For more information and reservations, visit airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran), call your travel agent or AirTran Airways at 1-800-AIRTRAN (800-247-8726) or 770-994-8258 in Atlanta. En espanol, 1-877-581-9842.

S.

Last edited:
Congratulations! What is the jumpseat policy on Air Whiskey? (it is already hell trying to jumpseat out of PNS on Delta.)

2 on the aircraft. UAL,UAX up front, BUT now this may change. I have NO idea how it will work with AirTran.

S.

Thanks for the info - I've been told PNS is home to more Delta pilots than anywhere but Atlanta - and I believe it. You said UAX can ride up front - does that mean ACA UAX only or ACA UAX and DCI? Its tough trying to get out of here.....

Jumpseat info...

I can tell you that Airtran will fill up the back with JS pilots, although they are now trying to enforce an old policy that charges the third (and on) jumpseaters $25 for the ride. (We are trying to change that, but atleast you can get on for now). I would assume as a contractor to Airtran, Air Wisconsin would be no different.

does that mean ACA UAX only or ACA UAX and DCI?

All of ACA. If you're in the ACA database and it can be confirmed, you're in.

As far as opening the entire aircraft to jumpseaters for the AirTran side, (I love talking about different sides of operations at AirWis..) I don't know. Air Wisconsin is still Air Wisconsin even with AirTran JetConnect paint.

S.

I believe our contract says we can take 2 JSers. Right now only ual and ual express (Air Willy, ACA, Skywest) can sit in the cockpit. I'm sure Airtran guys will be able to write a pass on AWAC and vice versa. Who knows what the details will be.

I'm glad to hear it, too, but I hope that we do get actual jumpseat privilege- since we'll be giving up some B717 jumpseats to those cities . . . . .

Does Air Wisconsin operate some non- UAL flights that we might be able to book through pax on, ie ATL to ASE?

Does Air Wisconsin operate some non- UAL flights that we might be able to book through pax on, ie ATL to ASE?

Short answer: No. ALL of AirWis flying was strictly for United. In fact, United owned AirWis in the early 90's then broke parts of us off and sold it to ACA (hence some sour comments and rumors we still get from some of those guys.) The rest was sold to JCT, six investors that created Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation. 3 are well known and run the company while 3 are private folks and they may as well be ghosts. We just never hear of them in day to day operations. Some like to speculate that the other three are U,A, and L, but that is just a fun rumor.

You want to see a United influence? Check out www.airwis.com I imagine the graphics on the site will be changed before too long.

S.

I have been off, so I haven't heard the other pilots' talking about it yet, but I would think that it will be viewed with enthusiasm.

Anything that lets us get more pax into the system and get more $$$ into the company is is usually viewed as a good thing around here.

Sounds like mgmnt has some big plans and they want to free up our aircraft to do it . . . .

I am a little concerned about my ride to work, though. Hope they work out cockpit j/s for us.

Latest resources

Back