• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mitusbishi Jets to come with Anti Sleep Alarms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry about that, Japanese. Not Japs, Japs is used as a derogatory term to conjure up images of WW2.

You have nothing to apologize for. People need to get over themselves and not take offense to every little thing.

Again, so what?

Just that the term "Jap" is in the same category as the terms "spic, nigger, kike, faggot, dike, crout, gook etc etc." I don't think the OP realized that the term he used was offensive in that vein. Thats all. If he meant it that way, then so be it but I am sure that was not his intent at all.

Last edited:
I am an American, and you can call me an AME if you want. Hell, you can call me the great satan, honky, infidel, etc etc etc. People need to get over themselves. Just saying.

I am an American, and you can call me an AME if you want. Hell, you can call me the great satan, honky, infidel, etc etc etc. People need to get over themselves. Just saying.

I get what you are saying. But Jap is still recieved as very offensive by japanese and asians in general, so I would probably not use it in mixed or unknown company.

So, how does every racist joke start? (head sweep left then right clearing the area):D

I get what you are saying. But Jap is still recieved as very offensive by japanese and asians in general, so I would probably not use it in mixed or unknown company.

So, how does every racist joke start? (head sweep left then right clearing the area):D

After what the Japanese did to the rest of asia, I think asians in general could care less what is said in a derogatory reference to the Japanese. Also, I fly in Japan, the Japanese are the most racist people I've seen and I'm from the south.

After what the Japanese did to the rest of asia, I think asians in general could care less what is said in a derogatory reference to the Japanese. Also, I fly in Japan, the Japanese are the most racist people I've seen and I'm from the south.

Not towards Westerners maybe towards other Asians. The Japanese are some of the nicest people that you'll ever meet.

You are very correct in what you are saying here. Japanese are very polite but there is a very strong undercurrent of racism rooted around japanese supremacy.

But whatever the case, "jap" is recieved very negatively in the states.

Not towards Westerners maybe towards other Asians. The Japanese are some of the nicest people that you'll ever meet.

Again, I FLY and LIVE in Japan and see this even towards Westerners. The term they use, Gaijin, just means foreigner or not from Japan and is used in a derogatory manner. They truly have an elitist complex and think they can do no wrong. I have seen it first hand, A Western pilot makes the slightest of mistakes and it's hours upon hours of ground school, along with sim training(for a non issue in the west) but a Japanse crew goes and burns up millions of dollars worth of engines and nothing is said. There are two distinct groups of Japanese, the ones who have been westernized and the ones who have never left. The ones who have been westernized and have left are as you described, but we have a couple where I work and they are considered Gaijin and get a rougher go at it than we do. It's also a culture thing, they will be nice and smiley to your face but you never let your gaurd down. Another thing to consider, the graduates of their ANA academies go to the right seat of a 777, the western trained pilots go to turbo props because they are tainted and inferior. I am painting with a broad brush but again it is based solely on my experience living in Japan flying for a Japanese company.

Again, I FLY and LIVE in Japan and see this even towards Westerners. The term they use, Gaijin, just means foreigner or not from Japan and is used in a derogatory manner. They truly have an elitist complex and think they can do no wrong. I have seen it first hand, A Western pilot makes the slightest of mistakes and it's hours upon hours of ground school, along with sim training(for a non issue in the west) but a Japanse crew goes and burns up millions of dollars worth of engines and nothing is said. .

Well yea you tuk deir jobbss!

Latest resources

Back