Military Time vs Civilian

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Can anyone here tell me with any amount of certainty how a typical major airline considers military single-seat jet time as compared with others. Specifically, does it carry more "weight" than 121 time and if so, what kind of conversion to they use.
I am aware of the .3/sortie to account for taxi time. Anyone with experience as a hiring board member or from an HR department have any info on this?
Please no flame bait. I am VERY aware of how hard it is to build quality civilian time. I am just acknowledging that there are some differences and want to know if the airlines make any considerations toward this. Thanks.

Key word in your question is, "considers." And for that, you'd have to ask each decision board. While conversion factors, where they exist, are published, how the decision makers view the different types of time is not published, nor set in stone. It can change... at one point Delta loved Navy tactical jets that landed on carriers, and everybody else was a step or three down from that. At other times & other places (perhaps when non-pilots carry more weight in the decisions), more hours is better and "quality" of the hours counts for little.

In many ways, the question you ask is almost an imponderable. If you could exchange some of your hours for a different number of a different type of hours, then you could ask if it would be a good trade or not, but you can't, so don't lose sleep over the hypothetical. The more relevant question is, do people with experience comparable to yours tend to get hired in significant numbers at the airline/s that you're looking at.

You can best answer that question for yourself by looking to see where guys who've left your community in the last few years have gone, and what success they've had in the various places they've applied.

At most places, if they call you to an interview, they're willing to hire you if you do well at the interview. Who cares if you're their top pick or a middle-of-the-road candidate? Do well at the interview & you'll get hired. Blow the interview, and being Thunderbird Lead won't get you the job.

See what it has taken for your peers to get hired in the places you're interested in, and don't sweat the hypotheticals. (And, by the way, almost nowhere does a single seat military tactical jet driver need 4000 hours to be competitive with a 4000 hour RJ driver. If they did, mid-career military guys would never get hired.)

Snoopy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back