Military time for SWA app

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

Question on the SWA online app. On the app it lists two categories to list flight time under. One is "Transport/Jet" and the other is "Fighter/Bomber". The question came up in regards to how to log flight time in a military TRAINER jet. I guess the thinking is that, technically, a jet TRAINER should be listed in the "Transport/ JET" category and NOT the "Flighter/Bomber" category, reasoning that a TRAINER is neither a FIGHTER nor a BOMBER but is a JET.
Also, any thoughts as to why SWA chose to make a distinction between the two categories? Does one have any DIFINITIVE advantage over the other? Any other inside scoop on how best to fill out the online app to maximize one's chance for a call to interview?

I hear the best way to maximize your chances is to fill the app out honestly. Don't try to pull an "I'm a military pilot so I can fudge my numbers because we are the only aviators with any true experience in the world" over on them and you will probably get called.

Thanks for the great advice Hopeful, what a concept - Honesty. All of us military guys are just trying to "beat" the system and get more credit for our flight-time than you are -- give me a break. All he is asking for is the proper way to log his legitimate time.

Bozt45,
I asked SWA PD the same question and they said to put it in the "Transport/Jet" category (S-3 and trainer time for me). I don't think it will really make that much of a difference in the big scheme of things as long as you meet or exceed the minimums.
From what I've read, it's just a matter of being patient and waiting for the call to come, based on SWA's growth plans and retirements we should all get a call (even Hopeful).
Best wishes,
Big Al

"I hear the best way to maximize your chances is to fill the app out honestly. Don't try to pull an "I'm a military pilot so I can fudge my numbers because we are the only aviators with any true experience in the world" over on them and you will probably get called."

Hopeful,
WOW, you either have a SERIOUS attitude problem or a big inferiority complex. Where in my post did I, in any way, imply I was trying to "fudge" my numbers or imply military is better than civilian. Just asking where the right place is to list my flight times. Either you have real issues or you are just a FLAME BAITER. Seriously, have a drink and try to relax, life is too short. (By the way, keeping in mind that SWA hires as much for attitude as well as experience, and that the folks in the HR dept read this forum on a fairly regular basis, you may want to moderate the tone of any future posts you place here. Just a thought)

Viking,
Thanks for the "honest" reply. ;) I heard from a buddy that T-45 time should be listed in the "Jet" category rather than the "Fighter/Bomber". Just trying to fill in the fields the way SWA intends us to. Thanks for the reply.

Everyone else(Yes Hopeful, you are still included, just behave),
Any word/gouge on how the HR folks are weighting items on the app, what categories count for more, pros and cons, etc?

Botz,

I did the same, put my T-38 time in the transport/jet category. Here are some other thoughts:
- the type-rating is HUGE! as noted numerous other times in this forum
- I didn't take any of my student time as PIC as PIC hours weren't a prob for me (though I know some will debate rather convincingly that the solo student time was PIC and I'd probably agree with them).
- SWA would like you to use the conversion factor.
- From what I understand Evaluator Pilot (FE or UPT Check Pilot) rates highest as far as "highest position held" category
- Advise of any vehicle moving violations in the past few years

Best of luck!

Check Six!

Mig1f16:
Does that mean that if you were in check section and gave check rides to non-rated UPT students, they want you to list yourself as an evaluator pilot? I was a FAIP in the Tweet and ended up in Check for about a year, but didn't think that would count. My other question is this: I am currently flying the T-1 and am in QAE. AS such I give simulator evaluations to the contract simulator instructors for the T-1. I had to go through the same process as an FE, but do not give checkrides in the Aircraft, only in the simulator. I was also, however, as a flight commander a progress check pilot and gave evaluation checks to students who had failed their category checkrides.
Currently I haven't listed myself as an evaluator in either of those aircraft as I didn't want there to be any questions raised at a possible interview (or by hopeful about my fudging) but it sounds like I should be listing either one or both of them.

Good luck to all....:)

Twins,

Yep, those are great questions...I would say the only thing that would come close to qualifying as an Evaluator Pilot with regards to the SWA app would be your time in Check Section and as a Prog Check Pilot...but, that being said, from what I gather you were not a Flight Examiner for Form 8 Checkrides...

IMHO I would say your time in Check and as a Prog Check pilot qualifies you as an "Evaluator Pilot" for SWA's app, but I haven't confirmed this with SWA PD, and I would probably digress to Chase's or Snoop's opinion on this...

Chase, Snoop, are you out there? Any words of wisdom?

Junior

If you have time on the AF summary that shows as "E.P." time (evaluator pilot for those not familiar with AF lingo), then I'd say you were an evaluator & can (and should) claim such. If the time from check section shows up as "I.P." time, then the conservative route is to not claim it as an Evaluator position, although that would be worth asking the People Department about directly.

I never taught at a UPT base, and I can't remember how the check pilots put their time on the 781, but I could see that an argument could be made either way. If the time does show as EP time, then I'd say that if the USAF thought you were an evaluator, then who's to question that. If it doesn't show as EP time, then there's a question. In the absence of specific words from the PD that "yes, we do consider check section an evaluator position even though you logged the checkrides as IP time," then I'd go conservative. I doubt the difference between IP and EP time will do all that much for you, but it'd be worth asking them the question.

Hope that helps!

Snoopy

Snoopy and Mig1f16:
Thanks for the replies. Snoopy - it does not list as EP time which is where my quesiton comes from. While I was evaluating people, the Air Force will only consider it as EP time for their purposes if you are giving Form 8 checkrides to rated pilots. I will ask the PD at SWA and then post the reply I get from them - thanks again....

FE time

If they look at your "Form 5" or your Flight Evaluation Folder can you show them a Form 8 that indicates you were qualified as an evalulator? Can you produce any Form 5 data indicating you logged evaluator time? If yes, go for it. If no. Take the safe way out in logging time. PS If in doubt... Call SWA PD dept. they will be glad to guide you and then you have it straight from the people that count.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back