Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
My part 141 flight school is looking for two instructors and hopefully one more when I get hired (soon?).

We have 3 C172Fs, 1 C172S, 1 Arrow, 2 Warriors, 1 T-34 Mentor, 1 Citabria, and a Baron.

http://www.offutt.af.mil/55svs/aeroclub.asp

Fax resume to (402)294-3503
Call with questions (402)294-3385 8-5 M-F

PM me with any questions too.

Wow, $155 for that Baron is pretty good.

Too bad I am 100 hours and two checkrides short of applying.

dang after looking at the prices I think my FBO is screwing me. Here is their quoted prices based on minimums....

40 hours Aircraft Rental time 40hr@ $90/hr (C-172R)
20 hours Dual Instruction??? 20hr@ $25/hr
10 hours ground instruction 10hr@ $25/hr
24 hours ground school Flat rate $150
Priavet Pilot Kit (optional) $155
Flight Test $250
Non-owner insurance $270 a year

TOTAL $5,175

Last edited:
garf12 said:
dang after looking at the prices I think my FBO is screwing me. Here is their quoted prices based on minimums....

40 hours Aircraft Rental time 40hr@ $90/hr (C-172R)
20 hours Dual Instruction??? 20hr@ $25/hr
10 hours ground instruction 10hr@ $25/hr
24 hours ground school Flat rate $150
Priavet Pilot Kit (optional) $155
Flight Test $250
Non-owner insurance $270 a year

TOTAL $5,175

Does your FBO require non-owner insurance? What type? Mine requires liability insurance, but only for renters (not students or pilots with a CFI) and it is only $95/year through AOPA Insurance Agency (www.aopaia.com). It includes a total $250,000 coverage with $25,000 per person max.

Also $90/hr for a 172R is pretty reasonable. The newer the plane, the more expensive it is. Older planes are much cheaper, usually an old 1970s 172 is 2/3 the price of a 172R.

The only thing fishy, I think (although others disagree) is having both a class groundschool for $150 and also having 10 hours of one on one groundschool? It should be less. Also unless you are Part 141 no one should force you to take a groundschool class, you can study on your own.

Studentpilot.com has a much more student-friendly message board, so you may want to check it out. There aren't many students here.

as for the insurane I'm not to sure about it? I have flown for 3 hours now in their planes and I havent paid that yet, they havent mentioned anything? The groundschool stuff also I didnt pay for. I just pay $25/hr for ground school as needed. There is no requirement for me to do it, we just get together whenever and go over stuff. Its a part 61 school.

garf12 said:
as for the insurane I'm not to sure about it? I have flown for 3 hours now in their planes and I havent paid that yet, they havent mentioned anything? The groundschool stuff also I didnt pay for. I just pay $25/hr for ground school as needed. There is no requirement for me to do it, we just get together whenever and go over stuff. Its a part 61 school.

The non-owner insurance is a good thing to have, but a lot of pilots do not carry it. Personally, I do. Basically, the FBO has insurance on their aircraft. If you break one of their planes, then their insurance will pay for it. However, the FBO gives the insurance company the right to recover any losses the insurance company can (called subrogation). So basically, after you break the airplane and the FBOs insurance pays for it, their insurance is going to try to come after you, especially if there is a doubt if you're liable or negligent.

The non-owner insurance protects you against this. And even bigger thing that it provides is legal representation incase the FBOs insurance does decide to come after you, for whatever reason. Attorney's fees aren't cheap, so you may want to look into getting some of this just to cover those costs.

A final thing to keep in mind is that you can be over-insured. Just get enough to CYA. AOPA offers this as does Avemco.

This place is covered by the Air Force. Standard Million dollar coverage for all CFIs and pilots free of charge.

We also get 10% off all rates (which are wet btw) and instructor courtesy on all instruction if you are working there. Break down getting your Multi commercial and MEI without having to pay for dual and 10% off of $155 and it's very cheap.

How does one go about becoming a flight instructor with an AF Aero Club? Is it as simple as just applying? I'm still working out my medical stuff for OTS, but if that doesn't work I think it'd be a good gig to have.

How'd you score the job, and how do you like it? Feel free to PM if need be...

I can answer here. I just fell into it. I was calling every FBO in the midwest, and I always followed up with "Do you know of anyone hiring CFIs?". One in Nebraska told me they were hiring at the Air Force Aero Club and I should call them. I did and the rest is history. I am civilian and always have been, and so long as you can pass a background check to get on base, you're in.

It's refreshing to have some variety of planes to fly and the MX and students are very good. The VA benefits (Government pays for 60% past Private License) help you to get people doing Instrument and Commercial ratings much more often.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back