Midwest and Alaska?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyWolf

Have been hearing a lot of rumors in the crew lounge, much more than usual, any ideas.

I would much rather see us merge with Alaska than Airtran, Midwest really need more routes in the west coast plus Alaska is a classier airline which matches what we offer to our customers.

Anyone from Alaska hear anything? I hope its true.

Ha, ha . . . . label this one "wishful thinking". AirTran actually approached Alaska, and thry wouldn't even talk about it.

Now . . .

If Alaska was looking for a dance partner, AirTran would have been the logical choice . . . we've got 65 upcoming 73NG delivery slots, heavy operations up and down the eastern seaboard where they are weak. . .

Compared to Midex . . . . well, we've got gates and slots at every airport Midex operates into, plus an additional 25 gates in ATL, 20-30 flights a day into PHL, BWI, MCO, FLL, MDW, etc . . . . Midex has what to offer? MKE, some ops at MCI, and two dead fleet types.

Yeah, I can see Alaska wanting that . . . . not.

As for you having a "classier airline" . . . couldn't tell it from your pay. Getting on our seniority list will be the best thing that has happened to you since you started at Midex, better start showing a little respect.

Last edited:
Ha, ha . . . . label this one "wishful thinking".
AirTran actually approached Midex and Alaska to make one "super carrier" and Alaska wouldn't even talk about it.

I don't blame Alaska.

If Alaska was looking for a dance partner, AirTran would have been the logical choice . . .

Yeah if it is 2 AM at the bar and that is all that is left. Alaska has better options down the road.

Getting on our seniority list will be the best thing that has happened to you since you started at Midex
That's not saying much.

Don't worry, Chuckie, you'll be swinging my gear and fetching my coffee soon, if you're lucky.

Hey . . . you're right. You'll be making my coffee- if you're lucky. If not, you'll be saying, "Welcome to Moe's!".

Either way, I'll be smelling like a rose, and you'll be smelling like the turd you are.

It's just fun to see ol' Ty Guy be givin da smak down! lol :)

AL brings a very serious piece of the market with them... arguably NO ONE has the West Coast locked in like they do. I'd definitely see that as an excellent strategic move.

Obviously Alaska doesn't think we're worth their time. They may change their tunes if at least 4 of the LCC's get together into TWO larger, more threatening carriers on their doorstep.

We definitely live in interesting times...

Hey . . . you're right. You'll be making my coffee- if you're lucky. If not, you'll be saying, "Welcome to Moe's!".

Either way, I'll be smelling like a rose, and you'll be smelling like the turd you are.

Now let's say for grins if I was making your coffee would you drink it?:laugh:

Ha, ha . . . . label this one "wishful thinking". AirTran actually approached Alaska, and thry wouldn't even talk about it.

Now . . .

If Alaska was looking for a dance partner, AirTran would have been the logical choice . . . we've got 65 upcoming 73NG delivery slots, heavy operations up and down the eastern seaboard where they are weak. . .

Compared to Midex . . . . well, we've got gates and slots at every airport Midex operates into, plus an additional 25 gates in ATL, 20-30 flights a day into PHL, BWI, MCO, FLL, MDW, etc . . . . Midex has what to offer? MKE, some ops at MCI, and two dead fleet types.

As for you having a "classier airline" . . . couldn't tell it from your pay. Getting on our seniority list will be the best thing that has happened to you since you started at Midex, better start showing a little respect.

Ty, First, I do have a lot of respect for Airtran so don't get me wrong, what I was saying If the milwaukee shareholders refusing this deal because they think the service level will go down with Airtran, maybe Alaska will do the trick.

As far as pay, I believe both Midex and Airtran have the same pay rate or within a dollar of each other.

Dead fleet type? the B717 is a brand new aircraft and it does exactly what we need it for, and we can keep flying it for a long time. The MD80's, will eventually be replaced by the 73 or the bus. The two 80's we are getting is just to supplement our fleet till we get the new planes, as I understand it we can't get the 73 for some time now.

As far as Midex has what to offer? obviously it has something to offer, otherwise Airtran wouldn't have put an offer.

Either way, best of luck to all of us in the new year.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back