Mexico flight plan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sammy

Every time I come back from Mexico the local handler files an IFR flight plan for us in addition to the one my international flight planner (Jepp) files for us. Anyone know why? I noticed this time the handler flight plan route was different then the route on the Jepp flight plan. Clearance gave us the handler flight plan route via a full route clearance luckily.

Every time I come back from Mexico the local handler files an IFR flight plan for us in addition to the one my international flight planner (Jepp) files for us. Anyone know why? I noticed this time the handler flight plan route was different then the route on the Jepp flight plan. Clearance gave us the handler flight plan route via a full route clearance luckily.

I have about 1000 hours in and around Mexico and South America. The above has happened to me also. Basically, what I concluded was the local handler physically goes to the flight plan office (he has all the airport badges, knows the personnel in there, you don't) and then does the flight plan.

If I recall correctly, To be "legal" the flight plan has to be stamped by like 5 people in Mexico, the flight plan office, then outgoing customs office, then the airport commandante who checks that yes, the previous two stamped it.

God forbid you need to depart when the commadante is over at his girlfriends house.

the handler can track him down, John Doe gringo corporate pilot cannot.

Also, Pedro in the flight plan office may be aware that at XXX time that day, Mexico Approach is gonna want you on XXX departure procedure, etc.

Basically, the local ATC is gonna go with the flight plan office's local knowledge and recommended routing over what some guy in Houston UVAir thinks it should be.

get the local handlers names and email addresses and start to cut out UVAir all together, FYI

Last edited:
Those Mexican flight plans with stamps are what you are gonna receive as clearance.

Some (the actual paperwork) are so fancy you could frame them like a certificate of achievement!

Hi!

The flightplan your handler gives you, stamped by the commandante of the airport, is your flightplan. Fly that one. Sometimes it is different than the one from ops/jepps.

Safety tip: At night, in Mexico, I fly a low-speed, high power climb to 15,000' to help ensure we clear all of the mountains.

Fly Safe!

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back