Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captnmayday

Hi all:

I keep hearing mixed rumors about regionals hiring, but with all the unemployed Airline pilots on the street, even if they hire ... are'nt they obligated to hire those from the main line (i.e North West, Continental, United ...)?

I am an aspiring regional driver currently flying Part 91 ... with over 2500TT and 1000 Multi and lots of patience ... is there a light at the end of the tunnel or is it the train comming?

I keep sending my resume through the internet to Mesaba, Air Wis, ...etc and I all get is a Cyber PFO ... what is the trick guys? just wait till the industry picks up? Count the gray hair until then?

Mucho Gracias

First of all, good luck to you. (Not being sarcastic here). As you know, if you're applying to a carrier who has pilots on furlough (such as Expressjet/CALEX), you won't be hired until after all of the furloughed pilots are recalled. Unfortunately there are many pilots on furlough across the industry and some companies might not be hiring for several years. It's just really competetive out there right now to say the least. Having said that, I think there might me a couple companies that are hiring - have you tried Colgan? I've heard ASA MIGHT be hiring by this fall sometime. In any case, keep hangin' on - things have to get better sometime. I hope.

phantom122 said:
there might me a couple companies that are hiring - have you tried Colgan?

Get out your checkbook, they've gone to pay for training scheme. The cost is almost 1.5 times first year wages. Mesaba has folks on furlough and is not hiring, Air Wisconsin hasn't hired since last fall, and the first of any future hiring will be drawn from those in their pool.

Make sure your efforts are targeted, otherwise you're just pissing into the wind. You have to use this board, aviationinterviews.com, etc in order to wisely direct your efforts. Recently Comair, Chautauqua, Pinnacle, and Commutair have all hired. A few months down the road, the consensus sees Mesa, Skywest and PSA hiring, but they'll first have to drain pools/train other groups before they take on fresh meat.

I don't mean to flame you, or anybody else, but let me get on my soapbox here. You're either interested in the airlines or you're not. If it's where you truly want to be, haven't you been researching the industry, learning the players, the politics, the economics, the personalities, the history, ever since you got your private? It's not just shiny airplanes! Being aloof to the subtleties of this business makes one a vulnerable target. Sure ya might get hired, but when management comes knocking what wisdom will you use to sort fact from fiction? Ignorance and the rose-colored-"I just want to fly"-glasses lead to the lemming mentality that approved all these lousy contracts over the past six months. The uninformed and disconnected will be exponentially more likely to cross a picket line. The Freedom Air deal - Mesa preyed on the ignorance and vulnerability of those with Zero industry experience/knowledge to undercut an existing contract. Information is power, we all have to stay in the loop. It means survival.

Mesaba has zero on furlough and is currently interviewing for July and August classes.

Captnmayday,

I would try now to start your job search, but with a couple things in mind. First, you may not make a lot of money for a while. Second, your lifestyle may take a hit depending on where you are based and what your schedule is like. Other than that, you should try places like Chataqua, ASA, and maybe Mesa and or Skywest. Right now everyone has kind of hit bottom with initial pay scales, so just try to get on with a solid regional. Even with the lower pay scales, Mesa and Chataqua can get you into a jet quickly and get you positioned for that next major upswing in hiring in about 5 years. My top picks for growth are Chataqua and Skywest, with Mesa rounding out the bottom. Good luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee :cool: :rolleyes: ;)

Mesaba is interviewing but currently focusing on applicants from inside the company and those that have their resume walked in. All three of our ALPA LECs passed resolutions this past week hoping to secure preferential hiring for NW furloughees.

I am not so sure I would go to chatauqua, they might be downsizing from what Dave Siegall says at US Airways. They only need a couple Express Carriers and those havent been named yet. good luck to all

Mesaba hiring

Mesaba is currently hiring. All furlouhs have been called back--- however not all are returning. First class is July 8th and my guess is more to follow. NW has passed along a 18% increase in flying with at least 2 new cities ( PHL/EWR). :cool:

Latest resources

Back