• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

MESA Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
THe problem right now is that you are looking at Mesa as a foot in the door to build time, then go onto the majors. Problem is, It may be that most pilots will spend their career at the regional level. At the very least, you're going to spend YEARS at a regional. Believe me, quality of life and pay are going to be issues and then it is too late.

Regional airlines are no longer stepping stones. They may be your final destination, whether you like it or not. A number of pilots have figured that out (Air Wisconsin, Comair, ACA, ASA, Skywest) and demanded to be paid a liveable wage for their work.

When pilots accept wages way below industry standard, it lowers the bar for everyone else, especially in this environment where two airlines have declared bankruptcy and others are right behind them.

If the current pilots at Mesa stand up for what's right, they will get more pay and benefits, and no, Mesa won't go away, there will still be plenty of grpwth out there for you. Until that happens, i'd recommend getting your time with a cargo or other 135 operation, and get on with a higher quality company when you get the chance. Skywest does hire lower time folks, many who are cfi's get interviews with them. Be patient and you'll have your opportunity.

Alright great... I got all the know it all guys here who really have no relevance to my original post!!!

Simple questions ask for simple answers, thats all i wanted. I don't have an interview with them, I don't even have an application in with them, and to tell you the truth i just wanted more info on them besides all of the negative things you all seem to have.

So please, just people who can answer the questions.

Thanks

I'm curious what this 'reputation' of Mesa's is, that spocks beard is referring to.
Long before i got into the regionals, hell back when i was still doing my initial flight training, mesa had a bad rep, i've never heard otherwise in the 10+ years since. I didn't want to get into (and don't want to stay in) the airlines so it's not like i had any 'one company is better than the other' attitude. previously, but now i realize the truth

Beavis said:
Why would you aspire to work for Mesa, the cancer of the Regional Airline industry, in the first place????? That is the real question.

Maybe he wants to be based in Phoenix and not commute. Maybe Mesa is the only place hiring at the moment where this person meets the requirements. I have a friend who flew for Mesa and is now at America West in a short amount of time. If he hadn't gotten a job at Mesa he wouldn't be at AWA now. This industry is all about connections. There are plenty of reasons to fly for Mesa and not another regional least of which is who is hiring at the moment. We all have our dream jobs but I agree everyone has to get their foot in the door someplace. For me commuting out of the east coast is not an option so that leaves me everything on the west coast. Mesa could potentially be one of those places.

If someone asks why do you hate X airline then answer the question. If they are asking for general info quit the friggin bashing of X airline because you hate it.

Like any airline collect the information and make sure you are familiar with the pro's and con's of it prior to interviewing.

Be carefull what you wish for it may come true. Is it common policy for supervisors to overide ground crew personel and sign aircraft off that are overwight and way out off CG? I can tell you that of all the airlines I would expect to feel forced to fly, would be Mesa. Not only this, but you may find yourself stuck there because all of the pilots that have worked so hard to raise their standard of living would not look kindley at a Mesa pilot. Two years ago I was on a Mesa ERJ145 flight from CVG to PHL and the landing was terrible. We just dropped about 4 feet and the fresh air vents fell out of the ceiling and everyone onboard screemed. The cockpit crew was so ashamed they didn't even open up the flight deck and wish the passengers a good day. On the shuttle bus, some women passed a piece of paper around because she wanted to sue claiming her back was hurt. Many other passengers signed the paper. When it got to me I wripped it up. I did this because the wind shear was so bad that day that a + or - change in IAS could have been 20 kts. No pilot deserves to have their life ruined because abunch of parasites want to get some easy money. I can tell you Mesa would have hung those pilots out to dry and the Mesa pilot group would have let them.

Be carefull, No flying job is worth that.

Latest resources

Back