Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

starchkr

New Bus driver
I just had a few questions for the mesa guys out there...

First off, when hired, how long is training?

How are the schedules for line holders generally? Is it possible to J/S home on your days off... what i am getting at here, is do you have enough "time" to get home and back before your next trip.

How do you like working there? I have seen that the QOL is good and bad by many on this board, but i would like to hear from the happy people first, then you pessimists can chime in.

Some pre hire questions...

How is the outlook for newhires this year. I see they have resumed interviews lately, so things must be looking up. How fast do they usually let you know how the interview went and if they want you on board?

Okay, that's all i can think of for now. I know some people are bashing the crud out of mesa right now, but please let me be, i am just looking for some general info.

Thanks for your replies.

Why would you aspire to work for Mesa, the cancer of the Regional Airline industry, in the first place????? That is the real question.

Hey Beavis

starchkr said:
I know some people are bashing the crud out of mesa right now, but please let me be, i am just looking for some general info.

He even asked nicely! There are plenty of other threads you can jump on to bash Mesa. He was asking for some real feedback!

Some of us (myself included) are looking for a foot in the door. I have no chance in he11 in getting on with skywest, ACA, ASA, Comair, etc. I'm certainly hoping for a call from mesa too. Anything is better than flight instructing. I can't get a cargo job right now either. As long as I don't have to cross a picket line, pay for training, or fly for free, Mesa sounds like a pretty good deal. I'm sure starchkr understands that mesa is trying to low-ball every regional out there, but the pilot group isn't responsible for that.

SpocksBeard said:
Some of us (myself included) are looking for a foot in the door. I have no chance in he11 in getting on with skywest, ACA, ASA, Comair, etc. I'm certainly hoping for a call from mesa too. Anything is better than flight instructing. I can't get a cargo job right now either. As long as I don't have to cross a picket line, pay for training, or fly for free, Mesa sounds like a pretty good deal. ** I'm sure starchkr understands that mesa is trying to low-ball every regional out there, but the pilot group isn't responsible for that.

That last sentence bothers me, and I'll tell ya why. If you on the outside are falling all over yourself to get to Mesa knowing that they are "lowballing every regional out there", as you said, doesn't that absolutely make the pilot group responsible. Considering what you know before you go, you are telling Mgt. that its O.K. Afterall you just what to "Fly Jets" and "Buid Time". Anything thing else just can't be helped by you, right?

Take Care

Insrtructing v. Mesa

SpocksBeard said:
Some of us (myself included) are looking for a foot in the door . . . . I'm certainly hoping for a call from mesa too. Anything is better than flight instructing . . . . As long as I don't have to cross a picket line, pay for training, or fly for free, Mesa sounds like a pretty good deal . . . .
You're wrong, Vulcan Breath. :)

Your use of lower case for Mesa in your first reference is certainly apropo. I worked for that company briefly several years ago. Based on my experience flight instructing compares favorably to working for Mesa. The company environment back then was oppressive under Larry R. and little has changed, apparently, under Frank O. (intentional). The Freedom venture says it all to me for the latter. From what I've gathered, new-hires could very well be assigned to the alter-ego, which would be tantamount to crossing a line.

You are in the neighborhood of 135 mins. If I were you and were still hell-bent on leaving instructing I would go that route and bide my time until hiring loosens.

Just some food for thought. Good luck with whatever works out for you.

SpocksBeard said:
I'm sure starchkr understands that mesa is trying to low-ball every regional out there, but the pilot group isn't responsible for that.

The pilot group isn't directly responsible, but they play a large part in lowballing everyone else by voting for such terrible contracts.

Exactly! And as long as Mesa knows there are hungry low time flight instructors and 300 hour academy wonders "chomping at the bit" to get that jet job, then they can continue to underbid every other carrier, because there is no shortage of pilots willing to work for the necessary poor pay and work rules to make that happen!

The pilots most certainly are the problem, when they willingly accept substandard contracts, that they know are well below industry standard......just to get their growth, which they know comes at the expense of all the other pilot groups out there with superior pay and work rules. Enjoy your growth............

okay...I'll keep my mouth shut from now on. I would love to fly 135 but that seems as hard as getting on with an airline with a reputation like Mesa. Very few companies in the 135 world are hiring just like the airlines. I am not the type to just take any job that comes along, and I am not seriously entertaining the idea that I might get a call from Mesa. There are many more experienced pilots out there who Mesa would consider before a "low time flight instructor" like myself. I apoligize for pissing everybody off.

Latest resources

Back