Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Photoflight

AIR rAMBO
Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of medivac operators in Texas or Oklahoma. Anyone whos done this type of flying before who'd care to offer a perspective would be great. Just beginning to look for that next step and this looked like it might keep me in the size airplane I like to fly as well as allow me to do some usefull flying.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum...its the closest I could think of.

You got the right forum, Photoflight. Sorry, don't know of any down south, but do know some up north if you're interested.

I do have some questions of my own for all you fixed wing Medivac flyers. What type airplane does your company use for Medivac? Do you think it is a good fit? Pros/cons? How many beds does it hold? What would be the aircraft of choice for this type of operation? Thanks guys.

IHM

Lear 25's and 35's with single "bed" (stretcher), two medical persons in the back (nurse, doctor, paramedic, etc.) and maybe a passenger or two (tight fit with two passengers and a patient).

Type aircraft vary depending on the operator. You will see mostly Cessna 400 series, King Airs (mostly 90's and 200's) and LR-Jets. Lears will cover 24's, 25's, 35's, 36's and a few 31's. The 24's and 25's that were the back bone of the dedicated air ambulance fleet are giving way these days to the 35's and 36's. You will also see a few Cheyennes, Citations and Westwinds.

For longer range operations, you are starting to see Hawkers, Falcon 50's and Gulfstreams.

In the South you might want to take a look and Phoenix Air. Therre are a few others out ther also. I would strong suggest that you stay away from the operator in Albuque, NM.

There is a King Air 200 at Spinx (near Dallas), a Citation 2 and Lear 35 at Dallas Love field, Houston Hobby has a King Air 200, and Albuquerque NM has several King Air 90's.

We use C-90s and they're suited well for our operation. A lot of our trips are into 3000' runways, so the 90 does great. We don't do too many long distance trips, mostly just surrounding KS, but occasionally hit HOU and other cities of about the same distance. For those trips I think everyone would like to have a jet, or at least a King Air 200, but our 90s work out really well for what we do. We have room for 1 patient; normal crew is 2 in back (EMT, Medic, Nurse, etc); single pilot, which allows us to take 1-2 pax if need be.

This is by far the best type of flying I've ever done. I'm comparing it to freight, corporate, and CFIing, BTW. Best schedule I've ever had, good pay, great mx, and no pressure to fly through the crap. :) I'm sure not all EMS operators would provide the same experience that I've had so far- some better, some worse, no doubt. But I'm lovin' this job and getting to help people in need of urgent medical attention is a rewarding feeling.

Last edited:
Hey CaravanMan,

Whats type of schedule do you have? Our company is probably gonna go with a rotation schedule, but we don't have the exact days on/off pinned down yet(I'm thinking either 5/5 or 7/7). Our pay will be about $60k for PIC of two pilot crew... care to say what your company compensates? Anyone else who wants to chime in is more than welcome.

IHM

Latest resources

Back