Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shooter

Call me the Tumblin' Dice
Ever wonder where you stand on medications and the FAA? Well, I now have the answer after years and years of always being under the impression (since that’s what I was always told) that we fall under the same rules as the pilots. Not true. Here is the story for those who care.

After years of dispatching, it must have finally worn me down to the point I was going to ask my doctor for possible medication. To be sure I could even begin to think about taking the medication I called my local FSDO for guidance. They did not know if the medication was approved to take or even if Dispatchers had the same or different rules as the pilots governing the use of medications. They were still very helpful in helping me find the answer so that I would be sure I was legal. They gave me the number to CAMI in OKC and they did not know right off hand either. So I was sent to another office that should provide the answer and as if reading from some legal document she told me the medication:
  1. was approved if only taken once or twice a week with a prescription. And
  2. while able to report for duty, to not operate an aircraft for 12 hours after taking the medication.
Again, I told her I was Dispatcher and not a pilot and she read the same response. So I tried again to get a CLEAR answer since I was not a pilot and she said it all is the same since we hold 2nd class medicals. I told her Dispatchers do not hold 2nd class medicals, like ATC tower personnel do. And she then said that the FAA does not have anything to do with our medication limitations and exclusions if a medical is not issued. While operating in a safety sensitive position the use of medication would be determined by company policy. So I called my company and got in touch with the person responsible for our company drug policy and she told me that word for word. What a waste of a day calling all the FAA offices when I could have just called my company who knew right away and not have to look that information up. Naturally we would not be able to do our jobs while actively taking certain medications, but it is company and not the FAA that determines what medications would interfere with your ability to do your job.

This may be common knowledge among many Dispatchers but for all my years of Dispatching, everyone always told me the wrong information. Now I have it right from the mouth of the FAA. Go figure

Last edited:
When I was diagnosed with Multiple-sclerosis in May of 05, my neuro and I discussed the various medications and therapies for MS. There are only 2 that are approved for medically-certificated airmen, so I started on one of those.

Later in the course of my MS, I had to start taking a legal upper; the same thing the USAF gives to their long-haul flight crews; since the combined bonecrushing effects of fatigue, those D%MNed 0400 shows, and commuting, were killing me. Even before my neuro had written the scrip, I coordinated with my supervisor, the company's drug program manager, who coordinated with the MRO, to see if there would be any problems whizquiz-wise; none.

I have now changed my MS therapy, to a therapy which would be permanently grounding for medically certificated airmen, since the side effects can include depression and suicidal ideations (woo hoo). Whether an MRO would accept it is irrelevant, as I no longer hold an ADX.

Moral: coordinate ONLY with your company's MRO, if the FAA wants dispatchers to be in perfect health, they'd require a medical certificate...

Last edited:
I totally agree with Dispatchguy....and as a former pilot, I too lost my medical and became a flight dispacher as a result years ago.....a rule of thumb..never bring attention to yourself or others in your profession by direct contact with the FAA, it can only cause knee jerk reactions and needless examinations to some wild conclusion, though I understand your concern and applaud your inquiry,its always stay in house with your company/Union....

You would not believe how many dispatchers could NOT pass an FAA medical if they wanted too, and how many could be out of work if it were to suddenly made requirement......JMHO

I don't believe they even whiz-quiz you guys as there are some that I deal with that are obviously on crack.

No not on crack...but I did buy my dispatch license at K-Mart at a blue light special.....I am sure you are a jewel of a pilot to deal with...where did you get your license from....the school of hard knocks...get a life DICK...

Sometime in the future you will need that dispatcher for something but your name will precced yourself and I am sure you will get extra attention you so rightfully deserve...

Ha Ha Ha - that's some funny stuff... Glad to see the dispatcher/pilot relationships outside of my cubicle are just as dysfunctional... I usually take "are you on crack" as a compliment... :p

Latest resources

Back