MEA Change climb gradient

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MALSR

What is the minimum climb gradient after crossing an MEA change? I've read 120 ft/nm in some books but have not been able to find this number printed in any FAA publications. Please state references, thanks.

From FAA-H-8261-1, Instrument Proceedures Handbook, Chapter 3:

MINIMUM CROSSING ALTITUDE
A minimum crossing altitude (MCA) is the lowest altitude at certain fixes at which the aircraft must cross when proceeding in the direction of a higher minimum en route IFR altitude, as depicted in figure 3-18. MCAs are established in all cases where obstacles intervene to prevent pilots from maintaining obstacle clearance during a normal climb to a higher MEA after passing a point beyond which the higher MEA applies. The same protected en route area vertical obstacle clearance requirements for the primary and secondary areas are considered in the determination of the MCA. The standard for determining the MCA is based upon the following climb gradients, and is computed from the flight altitude:
• Sea level through 5,000 feet MSL – 150 feet per NM
• 5000 feet through 10,000 feet MSL – 120 feet per NM
• 10,000 feet MSL and over – 100 feet per NM

If you cannot cross a fix that marks the starting point of a new MEA and clear all obstacles by appropriate margins with the above climb gradients, predicated upon starting your climb upon crossing the fix, then a minimum crossing altitude will be assigned that will permit you to cross using these minimum gradients. Otherwise, these are the standard minimum gradients with which you are expected to climb.

If I remember correctly, there were three values: 150, 120, and 100 ft/nm.

Which one depends on altitude. I'll see if I have it anywhere.

The TERPS manual is the correct source for this information.

avbug said:
From FAA-H-8261-1, Instrument Proceedures Handbook, Chapter 3:

If you cannot cross a fix that marks the starting point of a new MEA and clear all obstacles by appropriate margins with the above climb gradients, predicated upon starting your climb upon crossing the fix, then a minimum crossing altitude will be assigned that will permit you to cross using these minimum gradients. Otherwise, these are the standard minimum gradients with which you are expected to climb.

Yep, Also TERPS para. 1730

One thing to keep in mind, though. This is for the United States. In many other countries (UK, Canada, Australia, for starters) you are expected to cross the fix already at the higher MEA. Doing it the US way might put you in the rocks.

If I'm going to be hovering around the MEA's, I want to be at the higher MEA before getting there, regulations not withstanding. Something about having published altitudes that are higher if I'm unable to see what I'm hitting, that makes me uncomfortable.

After all, instrument flight is an emergency condition...it's not natural. It's not right. It goes against the grain.

So do rocks in clouds.

MEAs

Hey, what's that billy goat doing way up here??

TransMach

I'm surprised that this question even need be asked. According to the FBGRs (Federal Billy Goat Regulations, as commonly called, or 411 Code of Federal Regulations, Goats, Sheep, and Reticulated Capricornes), 411.144(a), Billy Goats are not subject to 14 Code of Federal Regulations (FAR's).

Further, everyone knows that goats become spatially disoriented in instrument conditions, which is why if the goats weren't exempt from the regulation, they still couldn't obtain isntrument certification (assuming they could pass a practical test with only cloven hooves to grasp flight controls, throttle, etc). To date only one Astrophytum Capricorne has attempted a practical test, and it failed not because of an inability to fly or navigate, but because of an inability to communicate. It ate the microphone prior to takeoff.

Because 411 CFR exempts goats from 14 CFR, goats are under no proximity to clouds restrictions, and subsequently have no requirement to remain VFR. Accordingly, one who encounters a goat in a cloud cannot blame the goat. Nor should one try. Inverted goats are not uncommon, though one should consider the higher picture when encountering a goat in flight in a cloud, and leave considerations of orientation (and the philosohical musings thereof) for a later, less constrained, time.

I've been looking for the answer to this question everywhere!!! Thanks!!!!!

Latest resources

Back