Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PHXFLYR

USAir by default
Are all your DC10's converted to the 2 man MD10 cockpit configuration or do you still have some of the original 3 man versions of the airplane in the fleet ?

Do you switch from flying the MD10 one night to flying the MD11 the next night during the course of a typical pairing or are they operated as if they are seperate fleets ?

If it indeed is a common type rating, and the aircraft are operated as if it where a common fleet; is there much of a difference in the in-flight handling characteristics between the 2 aircraft ?

just wondering....thanks

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
All of the -10s are a 2 man flight deck. The F/E seat is still there as a jumpseat, and some of the F/E panel is still there but it acts as a table now - thats the scooby snack table, or my crew meal table when jumpseating...

I have seen -10 and -11 flights on the same pairing.

As far as handling, they handle the same (head shaking no F-ing way!) :) (So I have been told by my crashpad roommate (MD11 CAPT).

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I saw a bunch of the 10's and the 11's at your hangar at LAX the other day passing thru and i was just wondering.

Last edited:
Are all your DC10's converted to the 2 man MD10 cockpit configuration or do you still have some of the original 3 man versions of the airplane in the fleet ?

Do you switch from flying the MD10 one night to flying the MD11 the next night during the course of a typical pairing or are they operated as if they are seperate fleets ?

If it indeed is a common type rating, and the aircraft are operated as if it where a common fleet; is there much of a difference in the in-flight handling characteristics between the 2 aircraft ?

just wondering....thanks

All are MD10s, but filed with ATC as DC10. When they first arrived filed MD10 but that caused a problem for some reason when international.

Not that uncommon to switch between MD10 and MD11 during the same duty period.

Very little difference in the way they handle. No greater than the difference between 727-100 and 727-200 or the DC-8-63 and the DC8-55.

Thanks for the response, Fox Hunter. By the way, nice picture of the VC10. While a kid growing up in NY, I would occasionally see Super VC10s of British Airways (BOAC back then ) fly over my house as they would descend into JFK after crossing the North Atlantic. Always thought it was one of the most beautful looking airliners the British ever designed. Bet it flew as good as it looked. You ever fly one ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, Fox Hunter. By the way, nice picture of the VC10. While a kid growing up in NY, I would occasionally see Super VC10s of British Airways (BOAC back then ) fly over my house as they would descend into JFK after crossing the North Atlantic. Always thought it was one of the most beautful looking airliners the British ever designed. Bet it flew as good as it looked. You ever fly one ?

Yes, I flew them as a F/O for East African Airways from 1971-73 and then again in 1975 for a few months. Furloughs always provided interesting opportunities. It flew better than it looked. Great airplane.

Latest resources

Back