Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8instyle

Above Average Member
Here's a question that I've been pondering for about a year now and need some opinions.

I have the Aero Science degree from ERAU. It's basically a square filler as most of you know, but they were very interesting classes. Now I am looking at backup options, like a lot of people and am wondering what most people think would be the best course of action. The Engineering (mechanical & civil) seem to really interest me but I already have a BS, although not nearly as valuable, so would it be wiser to go for an MBA? This would not be an MBA from a top 100 school even. It would be at the University of Alaska because that's what I can do with my work schedule. Any thoughts?

What are your career aspirations and desires.?? IF you are doing this to better your chances at employment at the airlines then take your pick . You already have a degree which is plenty to achieve employment as a pilot within the industry so anything "added" to what you have now really is up to you and depends on what your personal preference is.

What is your main reason why you want to do this? (just curious)

good luck
3 5 0

ps> some posts on the MBA thread may be of interest to you.

Just to clarify, I am already employed by my career airline of choice and hope to fly there 'till 60. The question is regarding backup options only.

av8instyle said:
Just to clarify, I am already employed by my career airline of choice and hope to fly there 'till 60. The question is regarding backup options only.

You won't want to go to work as an engineer at age 60. Get the MBA. Even if you leave flying and join a technical orgainization, I'll bet you'll want to work as a leader, not a number-crunching engineer.

I have an engineering degree and an MBA earned in the USAF, and even though I work as a line engineer, the MBA is probably as helpful to me as the BS in engneering.

I have a BS in Mech Engineering and its pretty much worthless. Reason being engineering is highly specialized and focused. Most jobs require specific experience in a system or area. For example a job may require 5 yrs experience in testing landing gear for carrier aircraft or 3 yrs experience in quality control of an assembly line.

Point is you cant just expect to leave an airline job and jump right into an engineering job as entry level opportunities are scarce.

An MBA will open a lot more doors as general life experience is valued more than any type of specific focus especially if youre on a management track. Not to mention that an engineering degree is 4 yrs of hell and an MBA is relatively easy

Masters

I'd consider it in terms of what you like better. An M.B.A. is certainly useful, but would you like engineering better? An engineering degree plus your good flight experience could open doors at aircraft manufacturers. Either way, a Masters is a useful credential that can be traded upon.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
As someone with an MBA, a few engineering degrees, and a Professional Engineering License, I would say go for the MBA. While the engineering degree would certainly be fun, I agree with a previous poster that it would be very hard to enter engineering as a profession at this stage without significant experience because companies can hire new grads and pay them a fraction of what you would demand. Then again from what I've seen on the salaries that some professional pilots make you still may be better off as an entry level engineer. :)

The MBA will give you the skills to run your own business and to move into top-level positions that wouldn't be available without the degree, even if the degree isn't from a top school. The advantages of top schools is not really the material taught in the classes, but the network you acquire. Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, etc will offer networks that are second to none, but unless you want to move into investment banking, consulting, private equity, or venture capital they probably won't mean much to you. The MBA will also give you a good big picture viewpoint as to the operations and management of businesses, which I believe would benefit someone with your background better than a BS in engineering. My degrees in physics and engineering certainly made the MBA a lot easier, but certainly not necessary.

Dave

Thanks for the words, guys.
That's the kind of info I was looking for. It's good to hear from dudes that have that experience. It'll make it easier to start focusing down the right path.
Thanks again,
Fly safe,
AV8

Salary / Job ? for you guys working as an Engineer.

How much would an engineer (ME) be making now that graduated in 97.

Whats the entry level salary for ME job now if you can find one?

Are there any "hot" sectors left for ME jobs?

For the Iowa F-16 guy, I only have a BSME and went from graduation to a charter/cargo job (instructed while in college) so I didn't do the MBA. From what I've seen from fraternity brothers and other college friends who stayed as an engineer most are now working on their MBA. They are doing this because they say its really the only way into a position where you break into 6 figs. and or their tired of the design field work thing. As for me I'd still want to do the design/build/test thing so I'd look for a job testing cars at a car maker or somewhere like Consumer Reports or Car and Driver. Maybe work for a race team.

Besides any of the above, from what I here the MBA (even from guys at Penn in Phl and CM in Pitt) is way easier than the abuse you'll see as an undergrad engineer unless you choose IE.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back