Male air traffic controllers don dresses in protest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JonnyKnoxville

Air traffic controllers upset about government dress-code rule are showing "their displeasure in high-flying fashion, with some men protesting by wearing women's clothing," The Associated Press writes. "The Federal Aviation Administration's dress code, instituted in September, bars jogging outfits, halter tops, shorts and jeans. Approved clothing items include dress slacks, casual shirts with collars and sweaters. Midnight-shift workers are exempt, AP says. Several times during the past year, however, male air traffic controllers have worn dresses or kilts to work, according to the National Air Traffic Controllers Association, the union representing controllers.
The air traffic controllers' union says it hopes the protest shows the silliness of the dress code, which may prevent some types of clothing but does not bar men from wearing dresses. Among other dress-code grievances, AP writes that "at the FAA's Cleveland Air Route Control Center in Oberlin, one controller was disciplined because he wore an orange shirt that a supervisor said 'looked like a highway traffic cone,' and another was told his aquamarine pants were 'not gender appropriate' for a man, (union spokesman Doug) Church said." FAA spokeswoman Elizabeth Isham Cory tells AP that the agency simply thinks the dress code is typical of professional environments.

yep, poor ATC controllers have to dress up LIKE THE REST OF THE WELL PAID PROFESSIONALS in the world.

...Jeezzzz

Yeah, we do becuase so many people see us. I really love it when im in the tower and its 100' out, wearing dress pants, and the AC goes out. Would prefer to be comfortable while I do my job.

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer the people keeping me away from other airplanes to be able to be comfortable while doing their job.

Hmmm? Ok here is an idea.

Dress business casual, get into a glass box on a 75' poll on a 115* Texas day and think about it.

Hey, I was just wondering but were they going commando under those dresses? I mean seriously, ventilation in the right spot will sure keep you cool. However, male controllers would tell you they would have to have knee or ankle length skirts to keep the man package from showing. ---- Freaks! LOL

yep, poor ATC controllers have to dress up LIKE THE REST OF THE WELL PAID PROFESSIONALS in the world.

...Jeezzzz

Wow, what a well thought out, articulated post. You have no idea of the vindictiveness that these controllers have had to deal with from the "new FAA." You have shown your ignorance of current events within the FAA. But thanks for the sarcasm...

Wow, what a well thought out, articulated post. You have no idea of the vindictiveness that these controllers have had to deal with from the "new FAA." You have shown your ignorance of current events within the FAA. But thanks for the sarcasm...

No Sir, you are ignorant of my background...try managing a part 135 cert and dealing with the FAA frequently.

Deal with that!

Yeah, we do because so many people see us. I really love it when im in the tower and its 100' out, wearing dress pants, and the AC goes out. Would prefer to be comfortable while I do my job.

try flying a saab at 29/28, coping with a 400 hr FO, atc telling me to find heavy traffic 4 miles in front, while dogging the FAA about a single engine turn, and arguing with my chief pilot about a 16 hour duty day in polyester dress slacks and a tie while getting paid $40 per FLIGHT hour on 5 turns a day to CLL and BPT...

oh, did i mention the $40k in flight loans that have killed my credit for life?

i'd love to tell me what to do.

No Sir, you are ignorant of my background...try managing a part 135 cert and dealing with the FAA frequently.

Deal with that!

LJ45,

The bold print is hardly necessary. What you fail to understand is that while the controllers are employed by the FAA they must deal with "the FAA" the same way you do managing your 135 certificate. The FAA merely makes the rules and signs their paychecks.

Equating controllers with the FAA is the same as equating airline pilots with their inept managements.

If pilots performed on the same level as most senior managements- people would die. Same goes for the controllers.

try flying a saab at 29/28, coping with a 400 hr FO, atc telling me to find heavy traffic 4 miles in front, while dogging the FAA about a single engine turn, and arguing with my chief pilot about a 16 hour duty day in polyester dress slacks and a tie while getting paid $40 per FLIGHT hour on 5 turns a day to CLL and BPT...

oh, did i mention the $40k in flight loans that have killed my credit for life?

i'd love to tell me what to do.

I am sorry for your hardships. But with all due respect - we all make our beds and must eventually lie in them! Most of us on this board have all been there. Your flight loans are irrelevant as everyone here has somehow paid their dues - whether in low paying crappy jobs or serving our country. The controllers are dealing with the same issues as you - just replace your FO and management with their trainees, FAA managers and weather.

They have more in common with us than many believe...

Latest resources

Back