• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Maintenance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Incidentally, the reason for the torque isn't to keep the plug from backing out...tight will do that. It isn't to keep from overstressing the helicoil. It's to prevent stress on the head itself, and to provide the proper tension in the metal...only one torque value or a value within a narrow range will do that.

1. It's not a helicoil and close is good enough if it gets me home with the engine running properly.
2. Not bragging just telling it how it is out here at certain places. You don't have to work there. You don't sound like you'd enjoy flying freight anyway.
3. I made a point of telling ya: "yup, it's a violation to do it that way." After all this is the FAR's board isn't it :)P I don't need to be blasted for operating the aircraft in an unairthworthy state I can go talk to my POI about that. Chances are he won't care so long as he didn't see it happen.

Anyway, I'm done arguing. Not gonna change anything I do because it works and I have the endorsement of the folks I work for. Your opinion differs.

icefr8dawg said:
If anyone is being dangered it's me and I've been doing this since I was little so actually there's no danger to myself.

I may disagree with AvBug on some issues, but not this one!

I assume that you realize that other people may fly this plane after you get home and park it. Yes, I have seen an example of where the threads failed on a spark plug/head and it blew out durring opperation.

Just because you can physicaly do the job dosen't mean you know what you are doing. For example, changing/cleaning ignitor plugs on a turbine is a good way to electrocute yourself if you are not VERY careful. It's an easy simple job, except for one key safety step that dosen't apply to piston sparkplugs.

I have no problem with pilots performing preventative maintence as allowed under pt 43, or as allowed under pt 135 opspecs, or "owner assisted" annuals. There are plenty of skilled people who do fine work on their own planes. Changing sparkplugs is one of the items that pilots are allowed to do. HOWEVER, maintence must be done right regardless of who does it. Shoting from the hip on maintence tasks places inocent lives at risk.

This kind of thing may be commonplace in Alaska, and other remote locals, but also rember that Alaska has the worst safety record in the US.

If you don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere then have your opspecs changed, carry the parts and service manuals on CD-ROM, and a small kit with the proper tools and spares. A small torque wrench isn't expensive and dosen't weigh much.

cvsfly said:
We wanted to address the FMS database (flash card - UNS-1M) issue some time ago (135 operator). Our DOM and ourselves thought it rediculous that an A&P had to install it (to the cost of .4 hr x $70 = $28). The FSDO inspector was kind of fuzzy on it, but asked our DOM to write a letter authorizing the pilot to replace the database card and he gave us "training on the procedure". We have a maintenance entry in the Avionics Log. He later made some comment that he might have to readdress this, but he never follwed up. We also recently made up an oil consumption log to keep better track/history of oil use (limitation in POH for oil consumption - BE-200). Didn't know you had to keep an official log, but it makes sense. BE-200 operators - how do you account for oil use as it relates to the limitation 1qt/10 hr? At what point do you establish the "stabilized" level to where oil is no longer "blown out" and can then establish a reliable consuption rate? Our's appears to be at around 3 qts low (cold). For those who suggest it be addressed in the Ops Specs - which paragraph in Part D are these maintenance functions addressed or do you mean written into the Operations Manual?

Anyone have an example of any crew performed maintenance like a FMS database update "written into their Ops Specs"?

Cusfly, I did oil servicing on the aircraft I flew (135) but I do not remember it being written into the OPSPECS. We were trained by an approved training program (written into the POH and I assume maintenance manual) with recurrent training. No problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Non A&P's doing unapproved maintenance on aircraft. Let's see....

I know of a pilot who knew better than the aircraft manufacturer (wood wing bi-plane) and did not have the wings inspected at the regular interval (he said it was too expensive), the wings folded (in flight), the landing path was straight down.

A helicopter pilot (not an A&P) did not like the transmission chip detector going off all the time so he disabled the detector, when the transmission ate it self (the chip detector was working properly) a short time later in flight, the auto rotation and him surviving the landing was unsuccessful.

A pilot (non A&P) thought it was OK to use compressed air (because it was cheaper than aviation oxygen) in his O2 bottle. He never woke up.

A non pilot/non mechanic owned and flew a small helicopter. He illegally flew and did his own inspections and maintenance. He must not have noticed the corrosion on the tail rotor. The rotor departed the aircraft in flight. Luckily it happened a couple inches from the ground. He lived, but the aircraft was a ball of aluminum.

I attended a crash investigation class for homebuilt aircraft. The EAA presenter told us that the greatest percentage of accidents were because the pilot builders decided to "improve" the fuel system with their own modifications.

If you do not have the training, knowledge, tools, authorization, and the certificate .... Let some one who does do the work.

JAFI

Specifically looking for the GPS database update (flashcard) for a 135 operation. I think it has been established that adding oil is servicing not maintenance.

USMCmech said:
This kind of thing may be commonplace in Alaska, and other remote locals, but also rember that Alaska has the worst safety record in the US.

Who said anything about Alaska?

JAFI said:
A pilot (non A&P) thought it was OK to use compressed air (because it was cheaper than aviation oxygen) in his O2 bottle. He never woke up.

OK, that's not a pilot/A&P/Maintenance issue, that's a stupidity issue. That guy should have never become a pilot.

A Squared said:
OK, that's not a pilot/A&P/Maintenance issue, that's a stupidity issue. That guy should have never become a pilot.

Stupid or not, that's why I said:

If you do not have the training, knowledge, tools, authorization, and the certificate .... Let some one who does do the work.

JAFI

Although I don't like it, no pilot is allowed to touch a 135 aircraft. The closest I have gotten is approval to perform specific (M) Maintenance Procedures in MEL Items. My PMI has given us approval to ahve crewmembers disengage circuit breakers and placard items when these are functions of a Maintenance or (M) Procedure. These items have specific procedures included in our Ops Manual, everyone completes training, and this training is documented every year. Basically allows me to pull a breaker to say complete the TCAS MEL procedure without having to find an A&P.

Latest resources

Back