Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
i subscribe to Flying and Plane and Pilot, but I was curious: what other aviation-related magazines/periodicals are out there that you pilots subscribe to? i'm looking to find new periodicals to keep me occupied that are related to airlines, general aviation flying, and planes in general (i tend to avoid military, experimental, and ultralight-type reading.)

I've never read P&P, but Flying is and always has been aimed more at the avocational flyer and the "fence hanger" who is thinking about taking lessons- it's full of ads for flight schools and PFT schemes. Flying's editorial staff has gone downhill too. There are too many columns by Peter Garrison droning on about one of his cross-countries and Les Abend explaining again just what an amazing pilot he is. There are still good columns and articles, but you don't get much for the price.

AOPA Pilot is a great alternative to Flying. The issues are bigger, and there are more articles and columns aimed at both recreational flyers and professional pilots in training. If you join AOPA, make sure you are getting the version of Pilot that has the "Turbine Pilot" section. I think there are two versions of the magazine printed, and the Turbine Pilot articles have some great information, both for pilots who are currently on turbine equipment and those who want to eventually move up.
AOPA is a great advocacy group that every pilot should be a member of anyway. Their magazine is just the gravy!

EagleRJ said:
but Flying is and always has been aimed more at the avocational flyer and the "fence hanger" who is thinking about taking lessons- it's full of ads for flight schools and PFT schemes. Flying's editorial staff has gone downhill too. There are too many columns by Peter Garrison droning on about one of his cross-countries and Les Abend explaining again just what an amazing pilot he is. There are still good columns and articles, but you don't get much for the price.

Seems to me the target audience for Flying is the rich business type or hobbyist... whatever you call 'em, the really rich dudes. Check all the ads for new Cessnas/Caravans/Citations, TBM 700s, PC-12s, Cirrus', etc., plus the high dollar avionics ads... who can afford stuff like that? Not me.

And speaking of tools, how can you mention Garrison and Abend without throwing Richard Collins in for good measure? He's the biggest dork of them all. They've turned into a pretty crappy rag, IMHO.

None

My .02, read whatever is at a library or bookstore every couple of months on a rainy day and save your money for something else. FAR/AIM, POH's, and the like are a better thing to read anyway. Too many 'pilots' are out there saying 'cool Seneca, it does this this and this', but can't land in a crosswind with 80 hours.

I'm a big Penthouse fan. I can read about airplanes at work, the FBOs have plenty of magazines. They don't have any smut though, at FBOs, so gotta buy it myself.

For airline information you might like Flight International out of the U.K.. Kind of expensive, but it's a weekly rag that has all the airline info to keep you up to date on current events. It's every bit as good as AW&ST with more pertinent info on airlines and a good jobs section in back. If you like pictures of airplanes with some limited reading on airlines then there are two mags, one out of the U.K. and another out of the States. www.airlinerworld.com and www.airwaysmag.com . You might also try www.justplanes.com for good airline news.

Sometimes FI has sweatheart deals at airshows. At the Dubai airshow they had a three year deal for $179.00. That works out to just over $1.00 per issue with postage from the U.K. included. Wonder if they go to Oshkosh ? I end up trading a Swedish friend my FIs, AOPA Pilot, Sport Aerobatics, and Sport Aviation for all the mags he buys, which usually include Airways and Airliner World as well as some pubs out of Oz and even Flying ( since I wouldn't personally buy it ).

TP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back