Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFINY

Hi all,

Anyone know, what to expect in LR 20's SIC recurrent training @ SimCom in Orlando? ( Part 91 ).

Thank you.

learjet

Nothing too extravegant. Mainly approaches, approaches and more approaches, mixed in with v1 cuts, v1 cuts and some more v1 cuts.

If english is your primary language, request Tony Dominguez for your sim instructor and examiner. He's a really good teacher and easy to understand - by far!

Oh, and it's in a 35 sim.

Have fun.

And if it is the same sim they had in MIA, it is the worst flying sim I have ever dealt with. And it's a Level C. It is extremely pitch sensitive. Not even close to the aircraft.

it's the same stimulator

It is. Although last time I was there (1 month ago) it didn't break once! (that's rare) Like Rick said, it's extremely pitch sensitive, so make sure your scan's up to speed and you'll be fine. If I can get through it anyone can. :D

I guessing that it would be the same sim they would use for upgrade training for the type.

What additional work can I expect if I choose them for this training? My boss is looking at them for a "training partner", and sems impressed with the cost/value of their outfit.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Timebuilder,

As a 135 operator, we are required to do evaluations of our training contractors on a regular basis. On the basis of the last evaluation we did on Simcom/Pan Am, we pulled them off our Operations Specifications. Your boss is looking at the paper cost, not the real cost. We found several issues with Simcom. Poor training materials, irratic scheduling, sims that always broke, sims that were overly sensitive, instructors that talk in front of you in Spanish, problems getting or viewing records, lack of communication and so on and so on. We never sent F/O's to Simcom, so I can't tell you what they will do differently. However, at FSI they usually give F/O's the same training as Captains, just different seats. You will have to do a circling approach and a flaps up landing. You will also have to do a low vis takeoff and landing. That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head.

What Rick says about Simcom is true. They have a beautiful new facility in Orlando (reminded me of Simuflite). But I concur that those old level C sims that Simcom bought (Hawker, Lear, Citation) are rather maintenance intensive and need more work. Frankly I'm surprised that the Lear sim passed its Level C review!

Remember Simcom made its money developing those "fixed/visual" simulators for the piston and turboprop market and that’s what they're best at.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back