Low Time Pilot Looking for Work in Atlanta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rpatte1637

Hello everyone, I am working on my CFI in Atlanta, but my current instructor thinks I may not be cut out to instruct. Anyone have any ideas for a pilot with 442 TT, 84 instrument, 56 night, 113 cross country, and 26 multi (not rated, aircraft was sold before checkride was taken). Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you and your instructor don't think you are cut out to be a CFI then please DON'T do it - there are far too many bad CFI's out there who don't give a rats ass about anything other then building hours. Your instructor might be wrong, maybe find another CFI to teach you, but if you think you aren't then find another way to get your hours.

You might get lucky and find a job - Skydiving, traffic watch, ect all normally require 500 hrs TT min. I am one of the few pilots I have known who have earned a lot of hours in a relatively short time without earning my CFI or paying for my time but I think I have just been very lucky so far but it can be done. Just takes a lot of searching.

I was living in Dallas (last Nov) when I found a job in Houston as a radio relay pilot. I had been looking for jobs in Dallas but found nothing (and I had 425 TT and 220ish multi and had been applying for 2 months) I had applied for the job in Houston and was then called on a Tuesday night by the Chief Pilot and told to be at the airport in Houston at 6 am the next morning or dont come at all- literally threw what I had in my car and drove all night and made it to work with an hour to spare. Job ending up being great - flew over 250 hrs in just 4 months. The job then dried up but it help me land my current job out in West Texas where once again I had to move. I am now a weather modification pilot and love it. I'll probably build up another 150 or 200 hrs of flight time. But the job is only a 6 month contract so come Oct I'll be in need of another job and will once again move.

My point is that yes, you can find jobs - Traffic watch is great, pipeline patrol, safety pilot, banner towing, ect. But most require 500 hrs TT and most probably won't be in Atlanta. I applied at several companies in Dallas but both wanted and required a min of 500 hrs TT but were hoping for 750. Just adding that in because Dallas and Atlanta are similar in size. Also, you are probably going to have to be willing to move to wherever the job is and take it, even if it is just seasonal work. If you are going to be picky about what job you take (ie not being a CFI) then you have to be VERY flexable in where you live. Also, expect to find another job (waiting tables, ect) between jobs. Good luck and I am not trying to dash your dreams but its a tough road if you don't become a CFI but it can be done and it can be some great flying too. Good luck.

Don't take that from your instructor. My CFI instructor said the same thing to me. It was a wake up call for me. I thought I might not be cut out to instruct, but 700 hrs of dual given and counting plus my CFII and MEI. Just gut it out and you will be fine. If you can maybe switch instructors, it might help to get a fresh perspective. That's what I ended up doing. Good luck

I agree with everybody else. Find some one else to fly with. Maybe pull banners or fly sky diver's until you're ready to instruct. Keep hammering away at it.

Thanks everyone, definitely looking at at least a second opinion from another instructor, I agree I have trouble expressing myself during the simulated training, but that may just take time. I am a good pilot and know that, so either option is good to me. Also thank Elmer for the additional info, low time yes; 42 may not be considered as young.

Im also in the atl area, let me know what ya find, I'm in the same boat as you my brother! I have a lil over 400 TT and im finishing up my COM. Although I think i would enjoy instructing, I dont know if I'd be any good at it.

Any interest in a partnership in a cheap 150 - 152 to build some hours?

PM if interested.

Once you get 500 TT, look into King Airelines right out side of Las Vegas. They fly 135 VFR only. I think you have to pay $500 for training which sucks but at least it's not $10,000+ like some of those PFT academys.

Last edited:
Daytonaflyer said:
Once you get 500 TT, look into King Airelines right out side of Las Vegas. They fly 135 VFR only. I think you have to pay $500 for training which sucks but at least it's not $10,000+ like some of those PFT academys.
Also, don't smoke, weigh less than 200 lbs., and be prepared for up to a month of unpaid training, despite them telling you it only takes a week and a half to 2 weeks. Also, South Las Vegas can be an expensive place to live, I don't know how it would compare to Atlanta.
Give it a little time, they just had a class go through, it might take a little while to start another class.

rpatte1637 said:
Hello everyone, I am working on my CFI in Atlanta, but my current instructor thinks I may not be cut out to instruct. Anyone have any ideas for a pilot with 442 TT, 84 instrument, 56 night, 113 cross country, and 26 multi (not rated, aircraft was sold before checkride was taken). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey RPatte,

I see Duchess time on Profile.....you would'nt happen to be training at Aviation Atlanta.....dude don't let those instructors talk you away from your dream...hell try another school if tht one ain't giving you the right skills you need, it's your money..and keep pluggin' away!

Dueguard1, no, won't mention name, but across the runway. School is good, and I have been happy with the other training and instructors so far, maybe just need to switch back to my multi instructor for for a second opinion, everyone doesn't teach the same you know.

Latest resources

Back