Losing Interest. Help!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OP:

Go take a fun flying trip somewhere, do something you haven't done before, put some excitement back into your training. My private training took a few extra hours because I did some things outside of the syllabus... because I wanted to do them. I remember that even my first solo wasn't all that exciting, but my first solo x-c was a BLAST! I learned to fly so I could go places, not hang out in the pattern all day. I remember getting to overfly DCA in a 172. That was cool for lots of reasons. Dang it, can't do that anymore, so it really is a fond memory.

That said, when you come back after a few days hiatus, take the advice of switching instructors, at least for the manuever.

I did my training 141 got my commercial ticket right at 190hours with that said, I practiced chandelles and lazy eights maybe a total of 10 hours. Overall I probably spent 20 hours actually getting the commercial maneuvers down cold. We followed the Jepp. syllabus and did mostly X-C's with a chandelle or lazy eight somewhere in the middle....went to many different places and ate many different foods. Talk to your instructor and see if he will "add" some x-c practice to your commercial training. on the other hand if youre really having that much trouble with the performance maneuvers maybe you should just suck it up and keep practicing. As a CFI I do a million of these things a day and they are way more fun than turns around a point IMO. Keep your head up, this is probably one of the easiest checkrides you will have.

Spins

That is exactly what I was going to suggest... spin training is something EVERYONE needs and doesn't get enough of. Plus it is hella fun. It will also help get those butterflys out of your stomach about those kinds of manuevers. Further aerobatics is great as well. On top of being a blast it teaches you how to really fly the plane and will make you a much better pilot.

climb to atleast 3000' AGL set the airplane up in a medium power setting (about 19-20" in a 172RG) get it trimmed out for hands off straight and level flight. Once youve done this pull up to induce a stall, once the stall has fully developed dont recover. DO NOT touch the controls, sit on your hands if you have to. After a couple of minutes I guarantee that airplane will be flying straight and level at the same altitude and course you were in straight and level flight at. this is an awesome demonstration of airplane stability and is a wild fun ride. warn your instructor before you do it....it usually scares the shiznit out of my students first time.

Latest resources

Back