• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking at going corporate!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"My company has been flying airplanes and/ or helicopters consecutively for 61 years. We are as stable as any Legacy."

I don't think I'd use Sears/K-mart as an example of stability in the corporate world. Today's flight department is a vastly scaled down version of what it once was.

You are very brave with a statement like that. Hope you are knocking on wood.

You are very brave with a statement like that. Hope you are knocking on wood.
I agree, but I messed up the quote feature. I was quoting g159av8tor who I think works for Sears. He seems to forget the part of their 61 year history when Sears spun off Allstate and Dean Witter along with a few Gulfstreams and Falcons. Nothing is stable in this business. Sorry for the confusion.

"We are as stable as any Legacy." Those are words that would make most pilots run screaming

The more research and soul searching I do I keep coming to one major question. Do I want to spend more time away from home and my family then I have to? The answer for me is no. I'm a very flexible easy going guy who would only like to know that if I need a weekend off for a buddies wedding that I could get it off. I've looked around the jax area for jobs. I know one place is hiring, but you have to pay for your type, so I'm pretty sure that's a no-go. What's your opinion on paying for a type? Anyway I truely do appreciate all the feedback, it helps more than you think. I've been wrestling with this decision for awhile now.

Last edited:
I worked in both jobs and would initially recommend staying where you are, get to the left seat and get PIC. Most corporate operators want PIC, if you think it's going to be a long time for your upgrade where you are now, don't think it will happen any sooner at a corporate flight department, in my opinion the corporation will need higher qualifications then where your presently at. Best of luck.

Do not ever pay for your type. If the company is secure they should not be asking you to pay for your type, in the 91 world anyway. That would make me wonder why they are asking you to pay for your type.

Gotta move

Limiting yourself geographically before you have the resume fluff to be choosey restricts your ability to enhance your hirability index. It will take you approximately 10 years to get to a job that will allow you to start making QOL a goal in your job search. Pilots get hired at good places because they have Turbine PIC, you must build turbine PIC to have control over your career. You have to go wherever that job is that gets you turbine PIC. You stay in that job until you can get another job that gives you better turbine PIC, i.e. Bigger airplanes, Turbojet, 121, etc. It is called paying your dues everyone must do it. Some do it in the military, some do it at the regionals, and some do in the on-demand business. Everyone pays his or her dues. Kit Darby told a story at a job fair about two pilot, both wanted to live in ATL. Pilot A only applied to DAL, the only place he wanted to work. The other pilot B applied everywhere. 10 years later pilot A is 135-charter pilot on a CE-500 out of ATL, pilot B is a Capt at UAL flying out of ORD. Pilot B lives in ATL, is a major airline Captain, but he did not limit himself to a geographic area when looking for a job.

Last edited:
I can tell you one thing. You probably won't leave an airline to a cushy fortune 25 flight department or private individual. You will probably have to go to a charter company first to get some GA (for lack of a better term) experience. This part of the industry is alot different. If you do go to a charter company one thing you won't get is time at home. Think hard and make your self happy first.

I can think of a few other Kit Darby "jewels". Let's not pay that vulture any lip service.

I'm currently doing the reverse. I started up a part 91 corp flight dept. flying a Piper Chieftain and soon moved into a King Air 200 single pilot operation. There are alot of benifits but as most everyone on this thread has said you will be on your bosses schedule 24/7. You will do alot of nonflying duties and probably won't fly as much as you would like to. I just finished my first week of BOI with a 121 company and I can't wait to get on line and see what the airline world holds in store for me. I'm pretty sure that I will fly alot more than I ever wanted to, but the way I see it I went to flight school to be a pilot and not a gutter repairman/landscaper/office handyman/etc... Never ever pay for your own training and just do alot of research on what ever company you go to work for.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back