• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging SIC time!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can log whatever you want. You can log tenth in command time while sitting on the toilet seat in a Beechjet if you want. As long as you aren't using the time to apply for a certificate/rating or for currency requirements. Add a column in your logbook for time sitting in seat 7c on a Boeing 737. Nothing wrong with it.

iflyjets4food said:
You can log whatever you want. As long as you aren't using the time to apply for a certificate/rating or for currency requirements.

No, you can't. Several NTSB decisions have established very clearly that if log time in your logbook, it is required to be legitimate, regardless of whether you ever put it on an 8710.

iflyjets4food said:
Add a column in your logbook for time sitting in seat 7c on a Boeing 737. Nothing wrong with it.

If the time is clearly labled as something other than pilot time, sure, you can log fights with your girlfriend, as long as you add a "fought with the girlfriend" column in your logbook, and it is clearly labled as such. You may not, however log bogus time in your pilot time columns, and be safe from enforcement as long as you don't use it to apply for a certificate or use it for currency.

There are a few operations like this.
Arguements why it is legal.
1. 135 Checkride, in which you can fail and go against you record
2. If something goes wrong/break FAR, you can be violated as an SIC
3. The FSDO does count this time towards your ATP
4. If the OpSpecs allows/calls for an SIC

A Squared is correct but incorrect also. As someone else stated you require an SIC in that beat up BE-58 when:
1. flying pax under 135, IFR, with no AP
2. Lower than standard takeoff minimums per most operators OPSPEC
3. And flying over 8 hours(max for single pilot 135)

The problem is that those 3 situation happen so infrequently at places like Airnet that qualified SIC's wouldnt get their flight time soooooo they log all the time they are just riding along with the PIC. Doesnt matter if it is day, vfr, part 91, no pax on board, the SIC hasnt even touched the controls that day YET he goes ahead and logs all of the time. Pathetic but the FAA doesnt give a rats ass so I suppose I dont either.

Hypoxik said:
1. 135 Checkride, in which you can fail and go against you record
That doesn't make the SIC required. The SIC must be required in order to log the time.

Hypoxik said:
2. If something goes wrong/break FAR, you can be violated as an SIC
That doesn't make the SIC required. The SIC must be required in order to log the time.

Hypoxik said:
3. The FSDO does count this time towards your ATP
Not if they understand that it is not legal SIC time. The fact that htere may be ionspectors at some FSDOs who don't understand the regulations doesn't make it legitimate.

Hypoxik said:
4. If the OpSpecs allows/calls for an SIC

So where are thes magical ops specs which "require" an SIC?

I have an NIC (naked-in-command) column in my logbook. The FAA chief counsel gave me a letter that said I can log it even if I keep my watch on, as required in our company manuals. Also, it is important to keep in mind that only those portions of the flight that are certified pantsless are loggable as NIC (I confess I round up to the nearest 1/10 of an hour).

I hope this helps.

Well, tell that to all the airlines that respect and honor it! In fact im going to take your DC6 job with all that SIC time!

(b) An airline transport pilot may instruct—
(1) Other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given.

This may be an alternative to logging SIC...log dual received instead, provided the other guy is an ATP.

kansas said:
(b) An airline transport pilot may instruct—
(1) Other pilots in air transportation service in aircraft of the category, class, and type, as applicable, for which the airline transport pilot is rated and endorse the logbook or other training record of the person to whom training has been given.

This may be an alternative to logging SIC...log dual received instead, provided the other guy is an ATP.
Sure. Let's see. Two pilots working for a commercial operator pretending to teach each other while on a compensation flight. Yup. Logging phony instruction is always a solid idea.

Latest resources

Back