Logging hours in a different country

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AKMac

I'm thinking about moving to New Zealand for about 6 months. If I go to the trouble to transfer my U.S. pilots license so I can fly in New Zealand, can I log those hours and can I count them toward a rating when I move back?

Personally I don't see why not. Flying is flying, regardless of where your at, right? Thanks

Yep. Flying is flying. Bear in mind that NZ logging rules may be a bit different. If they are, log the flights under FAA rules for US purposes and under NZ rules if you need to for NZ purposes.

Depends also what the registration is that the aircraft is, that is being flown. When I was in India, my Indian copilots (it was pt 91 flying in a single pilot certificated aircraft, but due to the nature of the work, and the contracts, we had copilots), were not always able to log the time, since it was an N registered aircraft. But even if it was an Indian registered aircraft, they might not have been able to log either since they require a type rating for ANY aircraft.

Worked in Canada for a summer and logged all the my flight time. Different rules as there 25 NM is cross country. Did some flights of up to 160 miles into the bush VFR. I don't my my IFR rating in Canada and it is not required for flight over 50 NM's. I have met some pilots up there who have over five thousand hours in the bush and have zero hours of IFR. I am going to have fun getting my ATP in the US when whey see my log book.

Most ICAO countries accept the time logged by pilots in other ICAO-member countries. Though, keep in mind that each country specifies how flight time can be logged. I transferred my FAA logbook to the Japanese JCAB format, and it was a huge pain in the rear.

Latest resources

Back